Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some help and advice on choosing wheels for Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
veltror
Guys,

Since my visit to the Mittelmotor Sommerfest I purchased some flares. Now I nee a little bit of advice on what wheels will fit.

I plan to buy some rear arms from Eric, as that will give me the five stud. As for the front I am not sure but a 911 front end is probably the best way to go, what is the best or worst front to go for.

What is the best combination to go for fror front and rear so there is no rubbing on the inner wheel arches etc. I like the look of these .

This going to be a street car, so I was thinking of 7" fronts and 8.5" rear in 17". What should I be looking for in terms of offsets. I was also thinking about maybe wheels like this .

What about wheels like this cup wheels

I am sure you guys have done this before so any advice you can give me for sizes and ET etc would be very much appreciated since this is going to be the first car I have ever had with studs what lengths should I ask Eric for?

Roman driving.gif
boxstr
You will need spacers to move the wheels out into the arch if you use the wheels you have pictured. Otherwise they don't fill out th earech and it looks weird.
Front you can easily use a 8"x16 Fuchs and in the rear an 8 or 9"x16 Fuchs or you can use the 15" Fuchs. Most of the Fuchs will fit without spacers.
CCLINFLAREFITMENT
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxstr @ Sep 14 2008, 09:32 AM) *

You will need spacers

agree.gif

Those wheels will need massive spacers as the offset is all wrong. That also means longer wheel studs so you can fit the spacers ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
veltror
Guys any suggestions for wheels etc and offsets greatly appreciated...
plymouth37
I am running 17" 996 10-spoke rims, 7" front and 9" rear.
And yes there are monster spacers on all four corners.
Click to view attachment
boxstr
I have a set of Fuchs just laying around.HMMMM
CCLINFUCHSAREFORPORSCHES
PanelBilly
Don't make the same mistake I did. Roll the edge of the flair under while your doing the mtal work and NOT after you've put mega hours into finish body work. Leave room for wider wheels now. You can always use spacrs.
veltror
Anybody give me advice on ET's etc?
WRX914
I got mine from Kinesis. Even if you don't want to spend the $$ on these wheels, they are definately the people that can tell you what wheel size you need. My wheels were made for my car and while the fronts need spacers, the rears are a perfect fit. Expect to pay many thousands for Kinesis wheels.
Richard Casto
Let me hijack this thread (might give OP some info as well).

I am about to rebuild the 911 struts I have and as part of that I need to figure out what stud length I will need for the hubs. And of course that depends upon wheel and spacer selections.

This will be on a widebody car with metal flares and five lug setup (911 front end). I am planning on using the “Rota Fox” Fuchs clones. The measurements on those are…

Front - 17x7.5 35mm offset
Rear - 17x9 16mm offset

What (if any) spacer should I use front and rear and how do I determine the length of what I assume will be longer studs?
SirAndy
Automotion (formerly known as Performance Products) has a good deal on replica Fuchs wheels and tires ...

Set of 7x16 and 8x16 with Tires = $899.95
Set of 7x16 and 9x16 with Tires = $949.95

http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...&pid=111289

Those would have the right offset. Together with 74mm wheel studs and small spacers, these would fill out the flares nicely.
bye1.gif Andy
veltror
I really wish I was still working in the US flag.gif . Fuchs have crazy costs here and as much as I like the Fuchs style, I think that the Cup I or the Boxster wheels look great. I had a look on the automotion page but there is little mention of offsets although the wheels do look good. Does anybody actually run cup or boxster wheels?

I found one car which did but I am still a bit green when it comes to ET's. can anybody tell me what the ETs should be and then I could try and find a wheel which is close. I appreciate the help so far greatly.

Roman smile.gif

jfort
I used 7x16 and 8x16 Fuchs. 21mm spacers off 944 in front with 76mm studs from Eric Shea. Tires are Hancook 225/45 and 245/45. All seems to fit and work fine with AA steel flares.
veltror
Does anybody know or have Cup or Boxster wheels fitted?

Still undecide3d what to do.

Roman
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(veltror @ Sep 17 2008, 01:21 PM) *

Does anybody know or have Cup or Boxster wheels fitted?

I've seen lots of Boxster wheels fitted. I really like the Cup I wheels, and I think that they would be my first choice, as long as I am on a budget. Without a budget, Ruf wheels are my favorites.

Here's another twist on the question... for balanced handling, do I want same width front and rear, or wider rears? I'm trying to strike a good compromise between unsprung weight and grip. I'm hoping to get ~150 hp out of a 2258 Type IV, and am considering either 7" all around, 7" and 8", or 8" all around. 7" all around looks like it would be substantially cheaper than other options (I am aware that I'd still need spacers to fill out the flares) with Cookies or Phone Dials.

What did factory M471 cars run?
roadster fan
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 16 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Let me hijack this thread (might give OP some info as well).

I am about to rebuild the 911 struts I have and as part of that I need to figure out what stud length I will need for the hubs. And of course that depends upon wheel and spacer selections.

This will be on a widebody car with metal flares and five lug setup (911 front end). I am planning on using the “Rota Fox” Fuchs clones. The measurements on those are…

Front - 17x7.5 35mm offset
Rear - 17x9 16mm offset

What (if any) spacer should I use front and rear and how do I determine the length of what I assume will be longer studs?

agree.gif These are sweet. gonna buy mine in February. Rota Fox RSR finish

Jim
Eric_Shea
Sounds like you have a bit of a decision to still make. The offset will frankly determine the stud (obviously) as it will tell you what spacers you need.

You should also determine the lug treatment. 74mm studs with a "small" spacer will probably not fit under a stock Porsche acorn as stock studs were 45mm. That would mean a small spacer would be 29mm. You can always go with a race/GT look and have those fitted with open nuts.

The most common studs for 911 offsets are 45 and 50mm. 944's and 930's get 66 and 74mm respectively.

Be cautious with Fuchs as there were many 911 and 944 offsets available. I have 7 and 8x15 on my factory flared car. The 8's with a mild 5mm rotor spacer simply fill out the rear flares to the edge. I think it would be difficult to get a 9" 911 rim under there... maybe a 944 Fuchs. The 7's have a 20mm spacer up front, still with room to spare.

I agree with Andy on the Automotion/Performance Fuchs replica packages... amazing deal.
veltror
I feel like crying, suddenly moving to 5 stud is making me ill barf.gif

Assuming I have AA flares, could I do the following:

Fit 7x17 or 7x16 on the front with an ET of 50, on a 911 front end or similar and use acorn nuts (never even thought about nuts until Eric mentioned it.

On the rear an 8 or 8.5 17 or 16 inch wheel, which has an offset of 55. Would I be able to fit the rears on a pair of Erics arms with a 1" spacer, what studs would I need so I can use Acorn nuts. Is this possible ?

I am looking to fit something like this

I am sorry to be killing this thread but I am very confused as to what to do.

Thanks again

Roman
Eric_Shea
You'll settle in on it.

For the front, find some SC struts loaded with calipers. Done.

For the rears I find it easy to work off early 911/930 offsets. The 911 SC/Carrera flares are the same depth as a GT flare. An 8" Fuchs with a 911 offset off a Carrera or SC will fill your flares nicely.

With that as a startng point, do the offset math and plan your spacers accordingly. You can also plan your studs accordingly based upon your spacers. As mentioned in the PM, a 45mm stud is stock. Add a 30mm spacer to that and you'll need a 74mm stud.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.