Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight/running light/foglight operation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
On a recent thread, a forum member posed a question about the switch function and operation of his ('72/6, French market(-sounds like a coffee blend) 914. I could only surmise what the regulations and specs for that market might have required.
However, there seems to be variation of lighting interface on some USA spec cars that I've seen.
My own, unaltered '70/4 works like this. Pull the dash light switch to the first detent and the h/l buckets come up w/o h/l illumination. The front parking lights, side markers and t/ls are illuminated. Pull the switch to the next (and last) detent and the h/ls come on. The fog light switch, next to the h/l switch, illuminates the fog lights whenever it is pulled out, regardless of the position of the h/l switch.
Furthermore, I know of unaltered 914s ('72 and later) that when the h/l switch is pulled out to the first detent, the parking/side marker/tail lights are illuminated but the h/l buckets do not come up. The buckets come up and the headlights come on only in the last, final switch position. I do not know if the fog lights can be used independently of the h/l switch position, as on my '70.
Running changes? Specification changes? Factory variations? The whim of Hans on the assembly line. confused24.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 14 2008, 12:06 PM) *

On a recent thread, a forum member posed a question about the switch function and operation of his ('72/6, French market(-sounds like a coffee blend) 914. I could only surmise what the regulations and specs for that market might have required.
However, there seems to be variation of lighting interface on some USA spec cars that I've seen.
My own, unaltered '70/4 works like this. Pull the dash light switch to the first detent and the h/l buckets come up w/o h/l illumination. The front parking lights, side markers and t/ls are illuminated. Pull the switch to the next (and last) detent and the h/ls come on. The fog light switch, next to the h/l switch, illuminates the fog lights whenever it is pulled out, regardless of the position of the h/l switch.
Furthermore, I know of unaltered 914s ('72 and later) that when the h/l switch is pulled out to the first detent, the parking/side marker/tail lights are illuminated but the h/l buckets do not come up. The buckets come up and the headlights come on only in the last, final switch position. I do not know if the fog lights can be used independently of the h/l switch position, as on my '70.
Running changes? Specification changes? Factory variations? The whim of Hans on the assembly line. confused24.gif

Paul

Yeah, I have one pf those. When I pull the switch to the fi
Patrst detent, the buckets DO NOT raise, but the front signal & rear lights come on. Fogs won't work unless all lighting systems are on full (except I do have the foglight flahers systen installed).
Pat
justdrive914
In my 72 headlight switch one click out = no h\l but parking lights and fogs work in this position one more click out on headlight lights work so do fogs
dw914er
one pull is parking lights. Second is headlights pop up and come on. Only then will the fog lights turn on.

Push one click, the headlights and fog lights turn of, but headlights are still popped up. Only when I turn off all lights does the headlights go back down.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(dw914er @ Sep 21 2008, 12:15 AM) *

one pull is parking lights. Second is headlights pop up and come on. Only then will the fog lights turn on.

Push one click, the headlights and fog lights turn of, but headlights are still popped up. Only when I turn off all lights does the headlights go back down.

Same on my '74 2.0L.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dw914er @ Sep 20 2008, 10:15 PM) *

As I TRIED to say in my prior post (proves that some people cannot walk & chew gum!), the first detent is parking lights. The second is headlights up & fog available.

Now, with that in mind, there have been jumpers available since at least early '73 to allow you to flash your fogs in any position. I put them on my 914 exactly one year after I bought the car - August 1973. There was another part, but it eludes me now.

I think I shocked so many 356's & 911's by flashing at them that they eventually started flashing back.

You have to remember, 914's were VERY close to being banned from PCA at that time. They hated us then. Now, we rule. Don't believe me? Just take a look at what has dominated PCA Parade autocrosses for 8 years. 914's.
Pat
dw914er
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 21 2008, 06:31 PM) *

As I TRIED to say in my prior post (proves that some people cannot walk & chew gum!), the first detent is parking lights. The second is headlights up & fog available.

Now, with that in mind, there have been jumpers available since at least early '73 to allow you to flash your fogs in any position. I put them on my 914 exactly one year after I bought the car - August 1973. There was another part, but it eludes me now.

I think I shocked so many 356's & 911's by flashing at them that they eventually started flashing back.

You have to remember, 914's were VERY close to being banned from PCA at that time. They hated us then. Now, we rule. Don't believe me? Just take a look at what has dominated PCA Parade autocrosses for 8 years. 914's.
Pat

lol, go 914s!!

I was gonna do the fog flasher so I could run the fogs at any position, and also flash people, but I never had the chance to motivate myself to do it. I still might do it later, because I always have my fogs on.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dw914er @ Sep 22 2008, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 21 2008, 06:31 PM) *

Pat

lol, go 914s!!

I was gonna do the fog flasher so I could run the fogs at any position, and also flash people, but I never had the chance to motivate myself to do it. I still might do it later, because I always have my fogs on.

Do it! If for no ther reason tan to just piss people off!
Pat laugh.gif
dw914er
pat, how difficult is it to install? I've done some wiring on the car, and it was a PITA!!!!!
70Sixter
My first pull gets parking lights and the headlites stay down. I put a jumper on the back of the h/l switch to allow the fogs to come on with the headlites down. This was published in Panorama years ago and is probly in Up Fixin'.

Fogs w/o headlites is illegal in some states. But I treat them like running lites. Never had a question about it from John Law.
Bucci
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 14 2008, 11:06 AM) *

Paul

Paul,

I am just keeping the originality and history correct as posted in the header. I hate to be picky but I believe that most US 914 and 914-6 only came with non-halogen "Driving Lights". These lights are built with clear lenses and not yellow colored glass or bulbs such with "Fog lights".

All the best
Marc-

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.