Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repaired damage to kevin's car when it was stolen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Rhodyguy brought his car by to repair the damage caused by the ass that stole his car last summer. The right side of the trunk was elevated because the pivot was torn loose.

I supplied the welder, he supplied the labor. Sure is nice to watch someone else work. It was a real bitch for Kevin to access and see with the engine in but, he got it stuck real good.
DNHunt
He had to get all twisted up. I'm betting he's kind of sore tonight.
DNHunt
It actually ripped one spot weld out of the inner wheel well so we had to repair that first.
DNHunt
More twisting. Oh my achin back
DNHunt
A successful finish. Even gaps
seanery
what's up with the California license plate?
Jeroen
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Feb 5 2004, 04:13 AM)
More twisting. Oh my achin back

IPB Image

That's a funny pic!
Looks like you're holding him by his feet and he's dangling above the engine compartment biggrin.gif

Have a beer on a job well done beer.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
rezron
Has anybody here ever welded a small piece of
angleiron under the hinge pivot? I had someone
recommend it to me and it worked well and I doubt
that it'll ever tear loose again!

rezron
Bleyseng
I suppose you could but the damn things either tear out the center part or rip themselves off the inner fender.
I get spooked welding over carbs/FI without a blanket. All that gas is there.

Geoff pray.gif
Porsche Rescue
Kevin's car is an import from the south. Bet it came to him with that fine plate.
Qarl
Looks like you had fun!!!
Joseph Mills
Get OUT of here Ol'Dude! I don't want my rear window washed. I ain't givin'you a nickel. laugh.gif
Bruce Allert
Hey! good job guys... I did mine and, YA, it was a bitch smash.gif I wasn't so lucky with getting the trunk to fit as good as your Kev. Mine's still a wee bit high in one area.

.........b
rhodyguy
thanks again dave!! def a job when the engine is out if you need it done. if you were to use a piece of flat stock you would have to put it inside the wheel well or the hinge pivot would be pushed in board. my guess is the compoment (welded hinge bracket) is the weak link. over stressing it, like the engine cover bracket, tears them out. the bracket i removed was ready to go south. i caught it in the nick of time. i'm very pleased with the end result.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

How are you feeling this morning?

The pictures don't do justice to the positions you got into. Several times I could see you shaking from fatigue. You and I suffer from the same problem. DAMN BIFOCALS It's really hard to get the right distance to see things well. Anyway, Kevin remember what the Gais Brother's bakery used to say. "Slow welders but fast drivers". KICK ASS

Dave
rhodyguy
dave, i don't feel bad at all aside for a 20 y.o. mind in a 51 y.o. body. you're right, working in a fixed position, with your head upside down, looking through a welding hood and fighting the line in your bifocals, does'nt make things easier.

kevin
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 5 2004, 12:30 AM)
I suppose you could but the damn things either tear out the center part or rip themselves off the inner fender.
I get spooked welding over carbs/FI without a blanket. All that gas is there.

Geoff pray.gif

That is what I was thinking..........

nuke.gif
Bleyseng
Hey Guys, most welding shops sell the plastic small goggles in reading strenghts. Fit right inside the helmets too. Makes it way freakin easier.
Geoff
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have to make the same repair, good to know it can be done with the engine in the car. However, due to far too many oil leaks (and simply for the experience) I will be dropping my motor. I guess while the motor is out I should patch the battery rust HOLES mad.gif
Brad Roberts
For those reading along at home... this is a easy fix with a injected car. The carbs ar not in the way.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.