Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
So Last week I was driving home after dark and everything is fine, has been daily driver for 3-4 months now. I come to a line of cars in my lane, nobody in the other lane, so I downshift into fourth and push it with all that I got, at 4500 + rpm I shift into fith and notice a terrible burning platic sorta smell. then pop the fuse blows for the guages smell is gone.

So I get home look for anything loose, nothing I can see. I put a new fuse and everything is fine.

Moving forward one week...

Get in my car after woork, this time from a parked position, I push it in first, second as hard as I can 4000+ rpm, same smell, no dash lights again.

WTF.gif
Spoke
There's nothing under your dash that is RPM dependent except the needle on your tach. The only thing I can think about is there must be a wire or something that when you subject your car to extreme G-force of acceleration (easy to do in a 914 - yeah right), something in the dash touches something else and blows the fuse.

Disconnect the battery negative and drop your fuse panel and look for any loose wires or try to smell for the burnt item. Maybe even pop out your gauges and look behind them. For speedo removal, pull the tach first, then reach behind and unscrew the cable from the trans before pulling the speedo.

Look for anything loose, frayed, or burnt.
Gene
you have a short in a wire. Possibly the insulation has come off the electrical somewhere. you should be able to follow the smell of burnt plastic and see where the problem lies. It's obviously some component on that fuse that is the problem since it keeps blowing that same fuse.
r_towle
check your light switch...make sure the bezel that holds it is tight and the switch has all the elec connections facing about 2 oclock.

When the switch gets loose it wants to turn all the weight of the wiring down, then it touches the underside of the metal dahsboard...
Then you smell burning and fuses all blow...

Rich
jsayre914
dry.gif I was thinking...

if the speedo was never hooked up, the clock dosnt lite anyway, the fuel light seems to be a seperate fuse, and I can hear the RPMs. What the hell do we need these guages for anyway. blink.gif

The fuse wont blow if I dont put it back biggrin.gif
904svo
The Red/white wire supplys power to the gauges, also check your wiring to your
backup light switch on the transmission it goes to the same fuse.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 15 2008, 05:53 PM) *

The Red/white wire supplys power to the gauges, also check your wiring to your
backup light switch on the transmission it goes to the same fuse.

agree.gif I would bet that it's your #9 fuse. I had the same problem last month, one of the red/white wires had come off of a connection and was grounding out on the metal dash.... Good luck...

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.