Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats a good battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jc914
Whats a good battery i have a 1973 2.0 fuel injected. I tried looking in the forum but i did not find anything. I want a good battery that does not weigh that much i still use the original battery tray.
thanks smile.gif
carr914
Optima Red-Top model 34R

T.C.
rfuerst911sc
There are basically two schools of thought on batteries. Some folks like traditional wet cell batteries and others like dry cell. I personally like the dry cell batteries for several reasons. For one they do not leak battery acid so that is a real plus. Also "generally" the dry cell batteries will be lighter in weight than the wet cell. And dry cell supposedly give longer service life but they tend to be more expensive. The main two players in dry cell are Optima and Oddysey. I have a red top Optima in my 911 and I just purchased a Optima D51R for my 914/6. However you have to get creative to make these batteries work in the standard battery trays. Hope this helps you out. beer.gif
r_towle
a rectangular 12 volt one should work.
Or you could buy what he said.
Rich
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 15 2008, 06:40 PM) *

Optima Red-Top model 34R

T.C.

agree.gif 34R fits perfectly. Call Optima (interstate) and ask for a GM adaptor puck. They'll send ya one for free, and it secures the battery well.
jc914
Thanks for the info that what i needed to know.
McMark
I have an Orbital from NAPA/Exide. Same technology as Optima.
sixnotfour
I have an Orbital from NAPA/Exide. Same technology as Optima.

Are the reverse terminals that a 914 needs standard or special.
The only problem with the optima th 34R is a special order most places and more expensive.
number6
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Sep 15 2008, 04:41 PM) *

There are basically two schools of thought on batteries. Some folks like traditional wet cell batteries and others like dry cell. I personally like the dry cell batteries for several reasons. For one they do not leak battery acid so that is a real plus. Also "generally" the dry cell batteries will be lighter in weight than the wet cell. And dry cell supposedly give longer service life but they tend to be more expensive. The main two players in dry cell are Optima and Oddysey. I have a red top Optima in my 911 and I just purchased a Optima D51R for my 914/6. However you have to get creative to make these batteries work in the standard battery trays. Hope this helps you out. beer.gif

I'm also an dry cell fan. My current red-top Optima has been in the car since 2003, never a single problem. No issue cranking in the cold or anything. It's not light, though. There are lighter dry cell offerings, if that is important to you.

If going standard size, you may want one of Triad's $26 Optima battery mount (very high quality piece), to properly fit/secure it in the 914 battery tray:

http://www.triadwestperformance.com/Products.htm

(Triad West Performance is an amazing company, btw - highly recommended!)

Good luck.
zonedoubt
Optima Red Top

I got a good deal at Costco.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
One problem with the Optimas:

They're heavy. Other than that, I like 'em!

--DD
sixnotfour
Optima Red Top

I got a good deal at Costco.

thats a 34 not a 34R It will work as seen previously.
MoveQik
Might I suggest the yellow top for extra speed?
Rand
You mentioned weight....

How about an Odyssey PC680? Plenty of cranking power if you aren't running big accessories. Sealed like the Optima, takes up way less space, and weighs a fraction!

Check this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74834
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.