Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber idf need some info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morph
i just installed a set of weber 36 IDFs on a stock 1.8
does any one out there have any info on jet sizes for that set up also is it suppose to be that noisy when you accelerate
i love em set me back in my seat not used to that when i take off wub.gif ill never put anything else on my car again.anywho any info on books to buy
or if you can scan and send me info ill be very happy
ChrisReale
There are a few books about Weber carbs, one by Haynes, the other by Pat Brannen (not sure on last name). That would be my recommendation. I know nothing about Carbs. FI RULES laugh.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(morphenspectra @ Feb 4 2004, 11:37 PM)
does any one out there have any info on jet sizes for that set up also is it suppose to be that noisy when you accelerate
i love em set me back in my seat not used to that when i take off

Morph,

I've never seen any 36IDFs, but what do I know? confused24.gif

I've got 44IDFs on my 2.0, and a book that was a big help to me is Bob Tomlinson's "WEBER TECH MANUAL super tune-up guide for VW and Porsche Engines".

It has a useful chart that provides typical jet combinations for various engines. Tons of information. But someone on this board will probably provide you with all the info you'll ever need before I even get this posted. laugh.gif

And YES they are supposed to be LOUD. Sound sweet don't they! wub.gif
MattR
The haynes manual is good for rebuilding, but not so great for jetting. I have it, and its really thick (only a chapter on IDFs though) and most of it is on rebuild info, like exploded views and stuff...
zehrschnell914
Webers RULE!!! 30yo FI is a pain. I wish I could help you on the jetting, but I am just learning myself. I love the sound when accellerating.

Mike
Elliot_Cannon
I got dual 44idfs on my 2.2. It goes like stink and sounds great. Some people say it can be too noisy to listen to the radio. Like I have said before. "With a Porsche. It's the machine that makes the music!" FI sucks. Especially 30 year old analog FI.
beerchug.gif Cheers, Elliot
PS I've always enjoyed this argument.
maf914
Webers are loud because of the open filters. If you had an enclosed air intake, like on the early Weber equipped 911's the noise would be significantly reduced. Somebody in Germany offers a fancy intake/filter system for Webers on Kafer-cup type Beetles.

I like the sound of my Webers, but sometimes I wouldn't mind a little noise reduction. rolleyes.gif

Mike
morph
dont really mind the loudness
just was asking if it was suppose to be like that
it sounds kinda kewl smile.gif
Joseph Mills
Forgot to mention, the Bill Tomlinson book is published by CB Performance, so you may be able to order one online thru them. I found mine in a local Bug shop.
914ghost
All things Weber and Dellorto are available from Cb Performance.
Everything! . ..except the Dellorto stuff, thay ran out of that and can't seem to get more. I had to order rebuild kits from Europe to avoid our local "FAVORITE VENDORS", we know who they are.
My take from experience is that Webers rock, they're a good durable all around carb, BUT a set of well tuned Dellortos runs smoother, cleaner, quieter, and gives more power for the comperable Weber Carb-size. Though I like the Dell's, next time I buy a set of carbs it'll prolly be 44 webers. I wouldn't run anything smaller- you can Jet / Vent 44's for a 1600 VW to a 2200. And parts are easier to get.
Another thing to check on your carb install is fuel pressure, it'll overpower your needle/seats if its not right (3.5 Lbs is right...5 is almost too much.)
Yep, dont axe' how I know.
Robert O
Aaron Cox
i just installed a set of weber 36 IDFs on a stock 1.8

Did you change the cam?
morph
nope stock cam
Toast
Yes the carbs are loud (love that sound wub.gif ) and hella fast. Had dual 40's in my 1776 VW in replace from a Zenith (gawd I hated that carburator ar15.gif ). Wow what a difference!

Ill get back with you tomorow on jet sizes and such.

Toast
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.