Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car shipper any suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hockeymutt
hey hows it going? so its about that time i orginally bought the 914 as a gift for my dad for Christmas. the car is almost in perfect condition other than paint. i've re did most of the interior already and had work done on the transmisson so i think its time to get this car out to him so i can give it to him Christmas morning. i ve had a blast with this car and hate to give it up but would rather have my dad have it and let him live in his glory days and feel young agian and get him in the garage. also another reason for him to tell my mom he's busy today working on the car so she wont have him redoing the whole house.

so back on topic any have any cheap/afforable shippers that will go from california to nj? ive gotten a few quotes ranging from 700-2300. Since i bought the car the rest of the family is chipping in to get the car out to jersey so were just looking for the most afforable way. i know its a few months away till Christmas but i live in the mountains of california and they get covered with a couple of feet of snow durning the winter months.

thnaks for the help mike

turboman808
I can't find there delivery info on there page but they do good work and have never heard a bad thing about them. But the guys at Gotham dream cars do car delivery as well.

They are right down the street from me at Tetterboro airport. Ask for Rob

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/
Racer
Those numbers sound about right wink.gif I looked into shipping a car from Cali to NJ about 1 year ago and got quotes in the $1500-2K range. This was for enclosed carriers, bonded drivers etc. Also before $5/gal gas/diesel.

Price is also influenced from time of year. The car show circuit heats up. Folks travel from northern climates to warmer climates in winter.

As you mention yourself, there will be a potential challenge getting the car over the rockies before the unexpected heavy snows too.
r_towle
I have been finding lately that you get what you pay for from shipping cars.

The lower cost shippers use open carriers which IMHO is fine.
The issue is that they do not show up when they say they will, sometimes days go by...lots of excuses...

they also never deliver when they say they will, lots of excuses.
So if you save the money, you will pay by taking time off of work on both ends....someone needs to be there at both sides and like I said...days go by with no phone calls...no communication from the lower cost shippers.

Rich
Dr Evil
$700 is fine and the lowest you will find. I have used DAS for a few cars with no issues. Since the paint is not perfect, you have less to worry about. DAS is not door to door, though.
carr914
Dr Evil and I just used the same broker to get cars shipped across country. I paid under a grand for Seattle to Tampa.

My experience is that unless you are using one of the big guys (Passport, Kennedy, etc) you will be using a broker who then bids it out.

If the paint is just OK or worse then open trailer is fine. If you your paint is pristine or you also have alot of parts that will be packed inside go enclosed.

You can also pay a little more to have your car on the top row so it doesn't get fluid drips from the cars above or rock chips (open) from road debris.

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.