Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint bolts loose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JJ914
Hey my inner cv joint bolts keep getting loose. Thinking of putting a safety wire hole in it aircraft style or maybe some lock tight stuff. I have used new cone washers and they still get loose. What do you think.

type47fan
See Dr. Evil's EvilWerks CV Safety Wire Bolts in the Member Vendor Forum. They work!

Thanks,
Rusty
Please, do not use loctite on CV joint bolts.

Usually, if you use new schnor washers and clean out the bolt holes that inevitably get grease in them (I use lots of q-tips), they'll stay tight. You need to retorque them after a certain number of miles. (I use 100 miles as a guide.)

P.S. Check the member vendor section. Dr. Evil sells very well done sets of drilled CV joint bolts and wire. smile.gif

P.P.S. Augusta isn't too far away. Are you coming to the Rocket City Ramble? biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Clean threads, new serrated washers, new gaskets (although some claim they may be the problem) and correct torque. I use 35 ft/lbs. I rarely have them loosen. One trick you might want to try, if you think shrinking gaskets might be the problem, is to use RTV in place of the gasket. Dr. Evil sells drilled bolts at a very reasonable price. It's difficult to do them without a fixture.

The Cap'n
JJ914
OK I promise no loctite. I will clean the bolts and the holes up good install new washers. Makes me feel better to know I am not the only one. I am a airplane mechanic so I will take my bolts to the shop tommorrow and cross drill them for safety wire just to make me feel better about it. Just got my new 2.0 in the hole this week so dont think it will be ready for the trip this year. Time for car work is few and far between. But would love to take her..
Thanks
r_towle
new gaskets.
New schnoerr washers...nothing else works..they are one use only...

Clean clean clean.

Rich
JJ914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2008, 06:45 PM) *

new gaskets.
New schnoerr washers...nothing else works..they are one use only...

Clean clean clean.

Rich

I got all new washers, gaskets and grease.Think cleaning might have been the problem before they where pretty greasy. I will put them in the parts washer and I just had the axle stubs out and cleaned good when I put new seals in tranny.
Thanks everyone is helpful as always
JJ914
Does it make a differance which way the washer is installed?
r_towle
I may be wrong but I go teeth towards fastener head.

Rich
Dr Evil
Nope, the washers go in either way. If it makes ya fell better, you can put it on with the serrations pointing towards the right wink.gif
JJ914
OK thanks for the info.
Got my bolts drilled up today and they dont look to bad. Shop has a nice drill press with a vise and free drill bits (took quite a few, don't tell the boss). Thanks again for the help.
Eric_Shea
Sounds like you didn't have new (or any) Schnorr washers. That's the #1 cause of the bolts working loose.
JJ914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 17 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Sounds like you didn't have new (or any) Schnorr washers. That's the #1 cause of the bolts working loose.

I have replaced the washer both times I have had the axles off. Thinking they were not cleaned good enough. But I got new Schnorr's again and cross drilled the bolt so if they come loose again something bad will have happened.
Mugs914
I had one 2.0 that kept shedding CV bolts on the inner driver's side. There was no ammount of cleaning, new bolts, washers, seals, or tourques that would keep those stupid things tight. We tried everything short of Loctite. We even changed the (perfectly good) rolled pins thinking there might be some kind of play or other monkey-motion going on in there. We ended up safety wiring the bolts and that solved the problem (of course), but we never did find out why they kept coming loose.

Must've been the garden gnomes gettin' rowdy with the tools again...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.