Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Pics Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I have searched and found discussion on above topic but can't find any pics. The exploded Katalog pic is no real help and I don't believe I have any shims in at all or at least I don't see them.

Thx in advance for guidance
JKP
r_towle
look up Engman here and go to his site.
He sells them.
They are lazer cut replica shims.

Rich
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2008, 10:37 PM) *

look up Engman here and go to his site.
He sells them.
They are lazer cut replica shims.

Rich

No..No
I have lotza shims lotza sizes..
I need to see exactly where to putum..
Thx tho Rich..

r_towle
They go in between the outer trailing arm bracket and the frame of the car.

So, when you put in a shim, it lowers the bracket...
There is also a fat one that is the washer for the bolts..that stays in the bracket, just under the head of the bolts...

So, bolt head----custom washer----bracket---shim---frame/long

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Sep 15 2008, 07:55 PM) *

Adding shims will dial out negative camber. Are you sure you have too much negative camber ???
idea.gif Andy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 15 2008, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Sep 15 2008, 07:55 PM) *

Adding shims will dial out negative camber. Are you sure you have too much negative camber ???
idea.gif Andy

Andy,
It is setup great for AX/Track with rear at roughly 30 degree angles but it is way to much for road trips or round town driving. Just purchased new rubber for those puposes and want it to last.

Also thx Rich for the graphic description. Should not need a pic with that.

jkp
jcd914
at roughly 30 degree angles

30 degrees is not possible without bending something. sad.gif

Are you having trouble with tire wear?

OK someone will probably disagree with me here but that is OK.
-1 degree 30 minutes (-1 1/2 degrees) rear camber will not really cause a lot of tire wear if the toe is set conservatively, maybe a 1/16" toe in on each side. It is the combination of a lot of camber and too much toe that eats up the rear tire (fronts for that matter). I have set a lot of Porsche's up with close to -2 degrees of camber with big wear issues. If all you are going to do is drive straight down the road then you don't need any camber but if you want to corner occasionally it is worth the extra wear.

Jim

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 16 2008, 01:57 AM) *

at roughly 30 degree angles

30 degrees is not possible without bending something. sad.gif

Are you having trouble with tire wear?

OK someone will probably disagree with me here but that is OK.
-1 degree 30 minutes (-1 1/2 degrees) rear camber will not really cause a lot of tire wear if the toe is set conservatively, maybe a 1/16" toe in on each side. It is the combination of a lot of camber and too much toe that eats up the rear tire (fronts for that matter). I have set a lot of Porsche's up with close to -2 degrees of camber with big wear issues. If all you are going to do is drive straight down the road then you don't need any camber but if you want to corner occasionally it is worth the extra wear.

Jim

30 might be a bit much. It was a guess. They are very aggressive looking tho.
I like the setup for AX but tire wear is a concern on the road. It is not my DD but it is driven a lot.
Thx for the good info Jim

jkp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.