Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hold The Phone! I'm working on MY CAR!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
McMark
I think it was the Tied House meet that gave me the kick in the pants, but I finally decided to jump in and get started on my car. It's been begging for work for a long time. I'm starting with the rear end sections. Can't wait for it to actually DRIVE! rolleyes.gif Here's the list off the top of my head.

1. Pull the motor and fix oil leaks, pull the ceramic lifters, clean everything, install carbs (for now).
2. Fix the hell hole and firewall rust, plus weld all the little holes in the firewall. New battery tray and new rear trunk pivots.
3. Fix the 'access hole' some DAPO cut in the rear trunk. The top starter bolt is not THAT hard to get to. dry.gif
4. Clean and paint the engine bay and rear trunk.
5. Clean and reseal the transmission and replace the speedo angle drive.

Here are the pictures from day one.
watsonrx13
Congrats Mark.... Now, while you're in there....(DWD).... idea.gif

Keep the pics coming..... shades.gif

-- Rob
SGB
That might need a little spacklin' befor ya paint it! smile.gif
r_towle
Think about this...

Chrome engine bay......
inner fenders, firewall etc...
Rich
Dave_Darling
Right on, McMark!

--DD
rick 918-S
WTG Mark!
FourBlades

Good to see you are getting going. You are going to do a full "tweek restoration"
on all the bodywork and parts, right??? biggrin.gif

John
LarryR
Hey, glad to see you are finding some time to work on your car. Looking forward to the progress pics.
jgara962
piratenanner.gif

Can't wait to see it on the road
greenie
It's about time... you were turning into the plumber with the leaky faucet. smile.gif
McMark
Chrome engine bay......
inner fenders, firewall etc...

Heeheh, LOL. laugh.gif This will be going back to original Marathon Blue Metallic, so that's what the engine bay and trunk will be. I know, BORING! Hahahaha

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 16 2008, 06:13 AM) *
Good to see you are getting going. You are going to do a full "tweek restoration"
on all the bodywork and parts, right??? biggrin.gif

No 'tweaksteration' on this one. Just a good solid refresh. My goal here is more of "Hey, it's running!" instead of "OMG! Look at the detail!", I'll save that for the Aubergine car.

QUOTE(greenie @ Sep 16 2008, 09:12 AM) *
It's about time... you were turning into the plumber with the leaky faucet. smile.gif

Yeah, tell me about it. rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 16 2008, 01:10 PM) *

Heeheh, LOL. laugh.gif This will be going back to original Marathon Blue Metallic, so that's what the engine bay and trunk will be. I know, BORING! Hahahaha

Awww. I liked the black grafitti look.

Zach
Dr. Roger
I'm with Zach. Keep it with graffitti and call it your shop car. Pimp that ride!

laugh.gif aktion035.gif happy11.gif poke.gif popcorn[1].gif

Cool that you're getting her rolling again. Good work.

Roger

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 16 2008, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 16 2008, 01:10 PM) *

Awww. I liked the black grafitti look.

Zach

ConeDodger
OMG!!! Isn't it time you put the 2270 parts on the shelf together?
McMark
Missing heads... sad.gif
The 2270 is for the Aubergine car anyway. And this 2056 is fresh, just dirty. laugh.gif
r_towle
Chrome paint the engine bay....do it...

Rich
Gint
Slacker... smile.gif
McMark
Hey, some of us are still working... tongue.gif

The motor is pretty much clean. Certainly not obsessively clean, but there are some places you just can't get to on an assembled motor.

Started cleaning the transmission. It's soaking in cleaner now and it's going on a trip to the car wash tomorrow.

I welded my new trunk hinge pivots and the painted the back side.
PanelBilly
How much fun can one person have? When you have a really big project in front of you and there are just so many things to do, it feels great to start picking away at the project. Keep the energy flowing!
RoadGlue
Good work mark! You're inspiring me to pull my motor this fall, clean it up and fix my oil leaks.
jonferns
You're inspiring me to pull my motor this fall, clean it up and fix my oil leaks.

agree.gif
McMark
Cleaned the transmission today. Got most of the new seals in. Man-o-man am I looking forward to a dry transmission... boldblue.gif
I was surprised by how much oxidation/corrosion there is on the transmission. It looks dirty, but it's just pitted. huh.gif
McMark
More done today. Cutting the old metal out. Nothing too horrific. I wasn't planning on doing the engine shelf, but I figured, why not...
I also took out the rear window and cleaned out all the layers of old sealant (stock, silicone, then more butyl) barf.gif
Root_Werks
Stop, stop, stop, wait,,,, waaaaaay to much progress going on around here. Someone give this man a beer and stop the progress! drunk.gif biggrin.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 20 2008, 08:47 PM) *

More done today. Cutting the old metal out. Nothing too horrific. I wasn't planning on doing the engine shelf, but I figured, why not...
I also took out the rear window and cleaned out all the layers of old sealant (stock, silicone, then more butyl) barf.gif

Nice progress Mark. I picked up my SC front suspension today and am actively looking for some 16 x 6 fuchs. If you want those pedrini's let me know.

Larry
McMark
Do you know if they are early or late? I definitely want a nice set of Pedrinis for my other car.
LarryR
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 20 2008, 09:17 PM) *

Do you know if they are early or late? I definitely want a nice set of Pedrinis for my other car.

I am pretty sure they are OE on the 72. Everything on the car from the paint on down is OE....

If you want them they are yours ... Just what ever you think is fair. You can just put it on the balance sheet for when the 72 comes for metal work.
McMark
Sounds good! thumb3d.gif My other car is a 72.
McMark
A month later, I made a little more progress...
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif aktion035.gif
McMark
a little more progress... I got a set of bus carbs to run the 1.7 motor I got from Jeff K. Which I guess I never mentioned. I sold my motor while it was out. So I was motor-less for awhile and Jeff offered me his old 1.7 which I took just to get me back on the road. I'm just trying to focus on getting on the road, not building the best car possible.
SirAndy
Maybe you can try the soda blasting setup on those carbs ...
shades.gif Andy
McMark
As soon as you come up and help me pull the electrical for the compressor.
shades.gif Mark
r_towle
pull them apart and dunk them in a citris based cleaner...does wonders.

Rich
Heeltoe914
Whats up Mark. Good to see you in Sacramento a few weeks ago. Can I ask you to post a better pix of the exhausts that you have on that car right now. I don’t think I have seen that you before????
McMark
Here they are:
SirAndy
Translation:
-------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer: Super Sprint, Mantua, Italy

Type: VW-Porsche 2000
Date: October 1985
Part#: KBA 20272
-------------------------------------------------

bye1.gif Andy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(LarryR @ Sep 20 2008, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 20 2008, 08:47 PM) *

Nice progress Mark. I picked up my SC front suspension today and am actively looking for some 16 x 6 fuchs. If you want those pedrini's let me know.

Larry

I have several 16" Fuchs Larry... Some 6" some 7"
ConeDodger
This FourBlades guy John just has to be stopped! Look at the fuchin' progress people are making when he inspires them! I vote we ban him for threatening and harrassing jackstands! lol-2.gif
knuckledrgr914
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 20 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Cleaned the transmission today. Got most of the new seals in. Man-o-man am I looking forward to a dry transmission... boldblue.gif
I was surprised by how much oxidation/corrosion there is on the transmission. It looks dirty, but it's just pitted. huh.gif

Hey McMark! Any chance you could do a detailed expo on cleaning and sealing the trani (or point me to a good how to). Mine is leaking like a sieve. I already have it dropped, I just need to know the best way to clean it and seal it back up.

Thanks,
Brad
McMark
Post a new thread and I'll go into it.
FourBlades
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 10 2009, 07:35 AM) *

This FourBlades guy John just has to be stopped! Look at the fuchin' progress people are making when he inspires them! I vote we ban him for threatening and harrassing jackstands! lol-2.gif

I guess I better not post any progress anymore or mention how I just got new
seats from Craig at Camp914, or how I put in all new brake lines, just bought
my first set of tires for my car, etc. etc.

bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif

dbgriffith75
blink.gif

All I can say is... WOW!

[Okay I can say a bit more than that.]

It's amazing the progress you've made! If I'd of gotten as busy as you when I started my resto, I probably would've had it done and sold by the time my shoulder went out. But then, I didn't know jack f--king squat about Porsche's when I started my resto either.

But seriously, awesome work dude. Things are looking good- keep the pics coming! aktion035.gif
McMark
Finished up the patch that I was halfway done with (see above). Now I just have some misc. DAPO screw holes in the firewall and then the engine shelf. Then the welding is done..... unsure.gif Well, until I dig into the other side hell hole. hissyfit.gif
JRust
Looking good dude! Keep up the good work dance.gif
Rusty
Looks awesome... hang in there!
jcambo7
popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Its a customers car...

Rich
McMark
Its a customers car...

Only if someone buys it before I'm done. happy11.gif
McMark
More work... months later. dry.gif Engine shelf is in and all the holes in the firewall are welded up.

I'm waffling between
1. being thorough and cleaning everything in the engine bay, stripping the paint, and having it all done up nice.
2. being quick and just spray painting everything and dealing with real paint later.

I should probably pick #2... right? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.