Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I have to pull really really hard on the release handle for the front trunk. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it and adjusted it the best I could and I still have to ask for help to pull the damn thing far enough to release. Well OK I don't have to ask for help but it's a beeotch to get open. Anyone else have this problem? Anything that can be done about it?
Cheers, Elliot
JmuRiz
I have the same problem with mine, have yet to remedy it. If I don't have my e-brake on I'll full the whole car back, that's how hard I have to pull it. I could use some help on this as well (glad to know it's not just me), thanks!

Nathan
JWest
It is usually the housing for the cable. It may have breaks in it. If not, it can get disconnected from its hold down clips - it has to be in those. The most important one is where it makes the turn under the headlight bucket. If it is hanging free under there, the housing will go straight when you pull rather than the inner cable pulling the latch.
Jeffs9146
Check in the trunk to see if you cable is moving when you pull it. The plastic sleeve should be firmly held in place, I put a clamp on the sleeve to keep it from moving when the cable is pulled. That solved my problem on the 74!

It is very difficult to describe how to repair it. Maybe James Adams could take a photo of the clamp?

Jeff
JWest
Sorry Jeff, but I had to fix it more. The clamp was contacting the hood a little bit, so I removed it (then it was REAL stiff). The housing was out of the holder under the headlight (that I mentioned earlier), and after I fixed that it worked better than ever!
Jeffs9146
No Problem James, I just did a quick fix on it and I hadn't dug in any deeper before I sold it to you!

Jeff
Brad Roberts
One crack in the housing and it is a bitch to move it. I replace.

B
JeffBowlsby
Try lubing it...did wonders to mine...

JB
JmuRiz
How did you get lube in the cable? Or do you mean just the latch itself? I'll try the tiedown method and the lube also. Thanks guys, just add it to the list of projects.
JeffBowlsby
Get a spray lube with a skinny tube thingy...sorry cant be more descriptive...Like PB Blaster, WD 40 etc...

Loosen both ends of the cable and spray it into the cable housing...
Gint
QUOTE(Brad Roberts Posted: Feb 5 2004 @ 06:30 PM)
  One crack in the housing and it is a bitch to move it. I replace.  

Replace it with what exactly? Are the cables (or specifically the sleeves) available new?
Brad Roberts
We have good used plastic housings. I have also seen the cable itself rust inside the plastic housing. The housing needs to be fully locked down on both ends or it will move. Even if it is broken in the middle (where you cant see it).. it will move and your motion on the t handle will be wasted in the movement of the housing instead of the cable moving.

90% of the time sombody brings me a car with a tough cable pull... the housing is broken somewhere in the 2-3 feet of length from the handle to the latch. Its is brittle and easy to break after 30+ years. Throw something in the front trunk (like a floorjack) and one good hit on the housing and you will have multiple pieces dangling.

B
Gint
Mine broke while putting it in the box after it had been removed.
Brad Roberts
DOH!!. Yeah you can only wrap them in a wide circle and put them into a box.

B
Joe Bob
The hosing is like bicycle brake cable....BTW, they make a teflon tube that slips inside.....prolly something to look into. Mine seem to work fine though...... mueba.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Brad Roberts Posted on Feb 7 2004 @ 11:11 AM )
DOH!!. Yeah you can only wrap them in a wide circle and put them into a box.

The housing was probably shot anyway, cause it was a PITA to open the trunk.
swood
How much for a replacement Brad? My latch is real tight and I'm sure it's broken in a couple pieces. Both ends are locked down tight.
Andyrew
I lubed mine, its alot easier to pull.
I took the hood side of the tube off the mount (cable as well) and I sprayed lube in it, holding the tube up so that the spray flows down. Then I pulled and pushed the cable till it was alot better. It was a pain. But its worth it.

Andrew
Brad Roberts
Swood, I'll have to check Monday. They are not that expensive (20$ or so used).

B
Elliot_Cannon
I think PP sells them but I'm not sure if it includes the housing or is just the cable. I think I'll try to lube it first. Everything works better with a little lube!!
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.