Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to set the stick shift correctly 914 -1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chcjr
My 914 1.8 splined shift linkage connection just under the floor board is disconected. How do I reposition it so that I can shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd?

After reviewing and trying out all the suggestions and comments on this topic, I worked out the following proceedure to properly reinsert the splined shaft into the shift lever linkage housing. Thanks to everyone for your help.

914 – Reinserting the Splined Shift Rod Shaft into the Shift Lever Mechanism

Thanks to all for the advice. I had never tried to adjust/set this connection before. After experimenting by driving the car, as suggested, after each attempt to set the shift lever I determined that the following procedure to reinsert the splined shaft into the shift mechanism works:

1. Put the transmission into reverse.
2. Bunge the shift lever to the driver's door or the steering wheel. Note - It is very important that the spring in the shift lever mechanism be fully compressed.
3. With your fingers, maneuver the splined shaft into the shift lever socket. (If you have really fat fingers this may be difficult)
4. To accomplish this it will be necessary to hold the (long) connecting shift rod firmly through the rear access hole.
5. Once the splined shaft is in the socket, insert it into the socket as far as it will go.
6. Tighten the holding bolt on the edge of the socket.

This procedure worked on a 1975 914/4 1.8 liter.

Compressing the shift lever spring using a bungee cord (see 2 above) results in the smooth snappy shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Also, to put the transmission into reverse requires that the driver compress the spring thus eliminating any accidental shifting into reverse.

Cap'n Krusty
Essentially, you put the tranny into 2nd gear, position the shifter, clamp the connection, and try it. Keep adjusting it until it's how you want it. I never take 'em loose unless there's no other way. The Cap'n
chcjr
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 16 2008, 05:11 PM) *

Essentially, you put the tranny into 2nd gear, position the shifter, clamp the connection, and try it. Keep adjusting it until it's how you want it. I never take 'em loose unless there's no other way. The Cap'n

Thanks for the reply. Please describe exactly what you mean by position and also how far in should I push the splined shaft into the housing?

ChrisFoley
Slip the splined shaft into the hole with the bolt loose. Leave the tranny in neutral, position the shift lever in the fore-aft position you prefer, bungee the shift lever to the passenger arm rest, and tighten the clamping bolt. That should be nearly perfect.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(chcjr @ Sep 16 2008, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 16 2008, 05:11 PM) *

Thanks for the reply. Please describe exactly what you mean by position and also how far in should I push the splined shaft into the housing?

If you have the tranny in 2nd gear, you position the shifter so it's correct for 2nd gear, then tighten the clamp ................ The Cap'n
r_towle
If you can drive the car, set it up like either Chris or the Cap'n say and then take a socket wrench with extension and 13mm socket with you.
Also bring large vice grips.

The socket is for the clamp nut...
The vice grips are to hold the shifter rod via the rear opening in the top of the tunnel.

Try every gear, make sure you can get into 4/5 and the rod does not rub on the seat belt bolt...you can feel that via the rear tunnel access panel.

Drive, adjust, rinse and repeat.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.