Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 225's in the Front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbelleperc
With custom wheels is it possible to fit 225's in the front with out pulling or rolling the fenders?
The most I had on my was 205 on 7's
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dbelleperc @ Feb 5 2004, 03:17 AM)
With custom wheels is it possible to fit 225's in the front with out pulling or rolling the fenders?

that's just one number - you need 3...

225/30-14 might fit...

just to make life interesting, not everybody's '225' is the same size, and there is little correlation between tread width (that 225 number) and the section width, which is what will determine if the tire fits or not. if you go looking, Tire Rack's site has a pretty decent table of specifications for their tires. they make you jump through some hoops but the information is there. at least it was for the Pilot Sport Cups and VictoRacers i was trying to compaare ...
Joseph Mills
David,

When I bought my car it came with a 2nd set of race wheels 7"X16 & 8"X16). The front tires were 225/50 Yokohamas (stock fender) and rears were 245/45 (flared rear fender).

All tires are not the same physical dimension even though they may have the same numbers. When I went with Hoosiers I was able to test the fit from a friend's set. The Hoosiers being a full size smaller (number wise), are about the same physical size as the old Yokohamas.

The tires were too large for my purposes (AX). I went to 15" with 205 & 225 respectively (and remember the rear fender is flared). If I were doing it over, I'd probably go with 205s all around.
Mueller
225/50's on 16x8 Phonedials fit nice up front with no fender rolling

(23mm offset, from an '86 944 Turbo)

As far as I know, only '86 951 Phonedial and Fuch have the correct 23mm offset on the 16x8 rims from Porsche...but I could be wrong.....

A rim from a newer Porsche, '87 on, would work with a spacer or you can use (if you can find) a 930 hub on your 911 struts

You can normally get 964 rims pretty cheap and use the rear rims which are 16x8, the fronts I think are 16x6
J P Stein
The short answer is....it depends laugh.gif

If you're willing to run the ride height way up in the air, then 225s may fit, but you still may have some issues at full steering lock and full suspension compression. Iff'n you want it down to a decent height, nopers.

I run 225 X 45 X 15 Hoosiers in front.
With about 4.5 inches from the ground to the doughnuts (about as low one can go without raised spindles), I had to do "some" fender adjustments.
airsix
I'm with JP. I am running 225/50 R16 up front and had to pull the fenders out quite a bit to keep from rubbing when making high-load turns. When I say "pull the fenders quite a bit" I mean about 2 inches. The car is very low btw.

-Ben
Andyrew
225's up front, had to flare it.

215's might be a good way to go. 205's will fit.

Its all about the offset.

Andrew
dbelleperc
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 5 2004, 03:54 PM)
Its all about the offset.

Andrew

That is why I asked about a costom wheel, i.e. Fikse, Kinesis.
rick 918-S
Even with custom wheels I think your dreaming. I have 215's Yokohamas on the front 15X8's with 125mm spacers and flares and the tires still rub slightly on the cowl at full lock.
brant
Wow I guess the fronts of these cars vary from car to car as the backs do...
I run 225/50/15 on 7inch cookies on my front (and rear)...

Yoko A032R, and Kumho... (doubt the hoosiers would go).

I have some rub at full lock, but this only occurs in the pits and have absolutely no rub on the rack... including the 100mph high G corner at the end of a 1/2 mile straight.

brant
J P Stein
Here's a pic of a 225 X 50 X 15 in the front of my car, pre flare. The suspension is at full compression.
IIRC, I could turn the wheel about 10-15 degrees.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.