Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjustable or shimmable rear arms instead of spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charliew
I guess this is a stupid question but: Has anyone made rear arms that could be adjusted out to fit bigger offset porsche wheels? I probably will want to make my own but wanted to see if anyone else went this route. Also I could make my own needle bearing pivots. I also thought about just cutting the bearing hub off and making a flange to hold spacers there on the stock reinforced arm.

I know that the spacers when they go past about 1.5 thick are bad for the bearings and the added leverage has got to be bad for the arms and mounts.

The Options as I can think of them:
1. buy adapters or redrill the hubs and go to chev, ford boltpattern, whatever wheels with correct offset. This will make all my 5/130 parts a waste of money and time I guess. The wheels would still put a destructive load on the bearings.
2. the above solution seems to be the easiest, and cheapest but not the neatest.
3. try to make some arms that a spacer could be put between the bearing hub and the arm to fit whatever offset porsche wheel you want to run.
4. something to do around the fire on a really cold day.

I know you would need:
1. fenders to fit
2. longer axles
3. enough power to need this modification.
4. strong enough arms and mounts to handle the torque

Maybe it's better to just run 9 inch rear tires and be a smoke queen.
SGB
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 17 2008, 10:25 AM) *

cutting the bearing hub off and making a flange to hold spacers there on the stock reinforced arm....

I know you would need:

5. Better medication.

Really I like the offset bearing idea.
skeates
You might find this topic relevant to your predicament.

Rear hub with 928 bearing and increased offset

enjoy chowtime.gif
SirAndy
Running the risk of being accused (again) of "stifling creativity", but stirthepot.gif

I have to ask "Why?" confused24.gif

Wouldn't it be much cheaper, faster and easier to simply get a set of wheels that have the correct or close to correct offset?
popcorn[1].gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.