Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Headlight Washer system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I need help understanding the headlight washer system.

The recent system on ebay had most of the parts for a complete system... but looking into it further, it appears there were 2 different M-codes for a complete the system, or parts of the system.

German price lists show the only descriptions I have on the system, suggesting the system was only available from model year 1975-on as a factory option.

From 3 different 1975 model year price lists, they list both M-288 and M-586 pertaining to the system, and indicate each as not included in the other M-code.

M-288 appears to be just the squirters and maybe some tubing? If so, could the squirters have been operated on just the spare tire pressure?

M-586 looks like it is the reservoir and pump, and switch I presume.

Help...my German is not good...Andy/Wolfgang/anyone can you decifer the price list descriptions attached?
davep
M586 is collapable spare with compressor, supposedly although I don't know any with that option.

However, what you are looking at is the incompatible list; M288 and M586 cannot be ordered together. I assume that the tank for the washer system takes up too much space in the trunk for the other option.

Nicht means not, so that column contains options that cannot be used with the listed option (an exclusion list).
Gustl
agree.gif
JeffBowlsby
An 'Aha' moment. That makes sense, thanks. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 17 2008, 12:30 PM) *

M-586

586 is a collapsible spare tire with air compressor ...
bye1.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Another AHA! moment. Surfing on the T4 forum at shoptalk, found this thread from a swedish poster who says that all Swedish 1974-on cars were fitted with the headlight squirters. So the photos we have seen of squirters mounted to both the early and late bumpers are both accurate.
jim_hoyland
I have one question; how much rust did/do the headlight squiter add ?
jim_hoyland
I'm sure there is a better thread showing the HL wash system, but here are of the parts....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.