Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrible oil leak--please advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mcashlv
I recently acquired a 1970 with (I believe) a 1.8 engine. The previous owner said it leaked oil from the oil cooler seals. He also said the engine was "rebuilt" by "Porsche guys" with oversize pistons and a hi-pressure oil pump. The engine wiring, hoses, etc. look real sloppy. However, we noticed the car was dripping oil when loading it onto the wrecker AND THE ENGINE WASN'T EVEN RUNNING! The car will crank up and run, but sounds rough, and seems to be running on only 3 cylinders. We haven't done a compression check, or even pulled the plugs. The car was stored for several years, so I don't know if the injectors are clogged, etc. We did drain as much of the fuel as possible and replace with fresh gas. When running the car drips lots of oil from the driver's side of the engine, from up in it's nether regions, can't see the source just by looking underneath the car (without it being jacked up). What concerned me is the fact that it leaks even when it isn't running, especially if it is lifted at a sharp angle from the front. Otherwise, it's a decent car and we'd like to get it running.
TheCabinetmaker
Valve cover gaskets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.