Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LetoAtreides
I've been having issues with my transmission. It has been leaking a little bit of fluid, so I'm wondering if that's turned into a big problem. I have a really tough time trying to shift into first. Most of the time it just slips into third, and so, there I am trying to fight the stick while at the stop light. I've also found it difficult to find second gear. Does this mean that I have to rebuild the transmission (very difficult when one lives in a dorm)? What kind of tool do I need to unscrew the filler plug on the transmission so I can change my fluid?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Sep 18 2008, 11:51 AM) *

I've been having issues with my transmission. It has been leaking a little bit of fluid, so I'm wondering if that's turned into a big problem. I have a really tough time trying to shift into first. Most of the time it just slips into third, and so, there I am trying to fight the stick while at the stop light. I've also found it difficult to find second gear. Does this mean that I have to rebuild the transmission (very difficult when one lives in a dorm)? What kind of tool do I need to unscrew the filler plug on the transmission so I can change my fluid?

First check is the cone screws. Make sure they haven't backed out a little. This will cause sloppy shifting. Your shifter bushings at the firewall and at the console at the transmission may need replacing. A 17mm wrench for the oil drain and fill plugs.
Cap'n Krusty
In your case, 99% odds are the problem is in the linkage. Check the cone screws (4mm Allen wrench), check the bushings, and then check the linkage adjustment. The drain and fill plugs are 17mm Allen size. The tool is available from Sears, or so I've been told. BE SURE the fill plug comes out BEFORE you drain it. Any good straight 80/90 or 80/90/140 GL5 hypoid gear oil will work. No mixes, no additives, no enhancers, and NO GL4.
LetoAtreides
Cool, thanks guys. I'm glad this most likely isn't going to be a huge project.
Dr Evil
Sounds external: shift linkage, and you should definitely refill the box and change the seals.

Click my rebuild link below for a list of possible problems and some pics of the guts.

If you want a rebuilt box, I can give you a student discount wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.