Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield moulding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mseiferth
Newbie question...

On our 914/6 track car the windshield moulding has been removed. I have seen several imagaes on the internet of 914's with rubber moulding instead of the chrome trim.

My question is, where do I obtain the rubber version and How hard is the install?

Thanks,
Joe Bob
You buy it in a roll ....rumor has it Honda CRX vinyl works.
mseiferth
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 5 2004, 09:41 AM)
You buy it in a roll ....rumor has it Honda CRX vinyl works.

Cool, thanks for the response.

Have any of the board members done this?

Does anyone have any helpful hints?
StratPlayer
Maybe you should take a look at this thread about this subject

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...windshield+trim
SirAndy
QUOTE(mseiferth @ Feb 5 2004, 09:46 AM)
Have any of the board members done this?

i'm about to do this. rich at HPH just orderd the rubber.

i'll let you know how it goes once i get to it ...
Andy
94teener
I installed my windshield the other day as described in http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...windshield+trim

Scroll down.

Here is a couple of pics:

BTW, my new user name is 94teener

Phil
94teener
Second pic.
94teener
I should have said, my previous user name was philinjax.
Sammy
How long will it take before someone decides to buy the material and make window seals for sale? I can see it now, e-bay adds for replacement rubber gaskets, get rid of your bent up old chrome strips, $59.99
Heck if no one else wants to I may add it to the sammy seal catalog. Maybe I souldn't have said anything...... happy11.gif
EdwardBlume
$200 for new chrome alone is not worth it unless you want to keep the stock look and you've got the cash to blow. I'm going with the rubber stuff next time.
Gint
Hey Phil,

What's up with the 1.5 or 2 " black area around the perimeter on the inside of the WS?
swood
"The other problem.. unless you paint the back of the glass all the way around the inside...you will now see ALL of the windhsield glue and it will look like crap from outside the car.
-B"
Gint
Yeah, I just read the linked thread with the write-up from Phil. I've moved it to the classics threads section.
SirAndy
QUOTE(swood @ Feb 6 2004, 06:53 PM)
unless you paint the back of the glass all the way around the inside...you will now see ALL of the windhsield glue and it will look like crap from outside the car

yupp ...

IPB Image
swood
So that's what it looks like. Ah-yup...it sucks. Probably don't need the full 2" though.

Will the rubber trim cover about 1/2 of that glue Andy?
swood
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 6 2004, 07:11 PM)
Yeah, I just read the linked thread with the write-up from Phil. I've moved it to the classics threads section.

There's actually another thread that would be good to merge with this one. (If I didn't miss it or something).

The one where B had pics of him etching the glass and painting it. Just saying so cause I've got to keep this one handy. I just found my glass with a big-s spider crack in the middle of it. And it's not even left the garage in 2 years. ???
94teener
Yeah, I may have over done the black strip around the inside of the windshield. But, the rubber seal is beautiful.

An inside shot.

Phil
94teener
How do like my newly installed vinyl trim? I bought the stuff in bulk and cut my own patterns. Worked well, too. Cut an extra three sets of the stuff and put it on eBay. So far,
one set sold at half price of what has been offered by others.

Today, I will install the black painted metal trim.
BIGKAT_83
Moulding and Top look great. rolleyes.gif Did you do the paint also?

Bob
seanery
the painted windshields look clean from the inside. I like it a lot.
94teener
I farmed out the painting of the car to a local 1.5 man shop who does excellent work. I knew I couldn't do myself.
seanery
What's your plan for the engine lid? I see it's red.
94teener
This is my engine lid. It has an early Corvette halogen third brake light and gloss black enamaled PORSCHE letters. It's time for me to assemble it and install.
94teener
The gloss black letters:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.