Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insurance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
This probably will not apply to your 914, but for your other autos and home..

I know you have all watched the commercials for Geico. I watched them as well and waited two or three years before I made the call... To say I am kicking myself in the ass is a understatement.

I got a quote from Geico for home and autos, I then took that quote to my Farmers agent here in town. I told my agent that I would likely be changing over to Geico as their rates were SUBSTANTIALY lower for the same coverages. My Farmers agent actually slightly beat Geico's quote and saved me about 55% of what I was paying before my call to Geico. I am still with Farmers, same agent, same coverage.

I am saving $7,158.00/yr including home autos motorcycle and boat for taking the time to make a simple phone call.
jd74914
I did the same. My insurance agent didn't want to insure the car - then would for an insane amount of money. I called GEICO for a quote not expecting too much and they were really reasonable. Bringing that quote back to my agent dropped their prices significantly too. smile.gif
orange914
it's amazing how good compation works out! just be careful your getting the same coverage... apples to apples.

smontanaro
Used to have GEICO until I got sheeplove.gif after my son got in a head-on collision in my wife's '99 beetle. The car was totalled. The body shop said it was totalled. GEICO refused to total it however, instead deciding to repair it. They estimated $8k to repair the car. The repair failed. The first time they started up the motor after putting it all together the crank seized. They had to basically disassemble the entire front of the car again to insert a new (used) motor. Even after about three months in the shop it wasn't right. The car was never the same again. We finally just took it to CarMax and took $9k for it. Had GEICO totalled the car they would have paid us about $12k. They had at least $14k into the car for the repairs it did receive.

Never again.

Skip
ConeDodger
I insure two Porsches, 1 240Z, 1 BMW motorcycle, 1 4Runner, my house with flood and earthquake insurance for UNDER $1000 a year with USAA... All vehicles are full coverage and the house is replacement cost. That Gecko can't touch that. In fact, when you tell them you have USAA they don't even want to try... But, nice score on your part. You have to be military or ex-military to have USAA...
Todd Enlund
Geico is cheap because they suck. Good deal if you can use their rates as leverage on another policy, though...

I had Geico in 1991 for three months. I paid for a six month policy, and they dropped me after three months for no apparent reason. The refused to refund the remainder of what I had paid.

I have USAA on my home and autos, and like Rob says, Geico won't even give you a quote if you have USAA.
cobra94563
Thanks for idea - I just sent the quote to my farmers agent!!

I hate it when the get you in on an initial rate and creep it up over time.
I really hate farmers. Each car is a separate policy. I have 4 cars and a home policy, different start dates because of changes. It's hard to know what your total premium is when each bill is only the single car premium and sometimes partial periods. It's done purposely to confuse the policy holder.
biosurfer1
well that was a big damn waste of time...filled everything out only to be told they cannot generate a quote online and I need to call an agent. If they are just going to steal my personal info, why waste my time telling me I'll get a quote??

and no, there was nothing crazy in my quote, just standard limits.
RickS
I saved a fortune with this company - its classic car insurance which actually allows you to drive the car to work a couple of days a week - at a greatly reduced rate. There are certain requirements, every great deal has a hitch; must have a garage, good driving record, must have another primary driver, etc. Check them out and it will save you far more than any conventional insurer.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=412983
Joe Bob
Fuck Geico, the lizard AND the caveman. They supply PDs with free radar guns. They also screw you on repairs...ya get what's ya pays for.
carreraguy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 18 2008, 03:30 PM) *

In fact, when you tell them you have USAA they don't even want to try... But, nice score on your part. You have to be military or ex-military to have USAA...

Yep - USAA is the best (retired Navy); I use them for all my insurance needs! However, I went to one of their affiliates for my Porsche "stated value" policies. Good coverage for the price.
sww914
Geico will not pay for OEM parts unless the vehicle is a current year model car. They won't pay for a new bumper cover, only reconditioned. You can see the reconditioned bumper covers around town, they're the ones with the paint peeling off of them.
tronporsche
I only had farmers on my house about 11 years ago, and dropped em' after the 5th , when we sold it. The rates just started to creep up every year. Never again. I use a cheap liability coverage for the DD's , and HAD triple A for full coverage for the 914 at $10k coverage, $300 a year. Read one guys post, he suggested Haggerty, I gave them a call, and I'm supposedly locked in for $40k, $425 a year. We'll see. They just went off of my description of the car, and said they are familiar with 914's, and know what they are worth. Called AAA and let them know the dealy, and they said they would not Insure me for more than the $10k. That don't even cover my rims. Bye Bye, triple A Insurance. When I do get Haggerty's offer, I'm gonna send the AAA underwriters a copy, and ask them who does their underwriting, and where do they get their creditintials from to be giving people these sorry butt quotes....as a matter of fact, I'm gonna walk it in , and embarrass the mess out of them.
WRX914
My 914 is insured by Hagerty. No issues there...

For the Record...

I never said to switch to Geico. I am simply suggesting to use their quote to leverage your position with your currect insurance agency (whomever it may be). In my case it is Farmers. I am not advocating Farmers, rather I am just trying to share a tecnique that I successfully used to lower my insurance rates.

scheez! I was just tring to help my buddies save a little extra $$$

What's up with all this negativity?
Joe Bob
No negativity towards you...just that I feel that Geico spends WAY too much promoting themselves and thus short changing the customer because they need to cut costs someplace tp make a profit amd give low rates.

Not to mention the commercials are just plain stupid.
WRX914
I think some of you are missing the point of this thread.

If you would like to see if you can save some money, call a company like Geico and get their quote. Take that quote to your current insurance company and see if they will offer you a better rate. I am not suggesting to change to Geico, rather use the quote they give you to see if your current insurance company will offer you a better rate.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 19 2008, 10:28 AM) *

What's up with all this negativity?

I think most of us realize what you were saying, and it's great info.

I think we also want to make sure that people don't switch to Geico if their agent won't match the quote.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.