Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug73/2.0
Saturday I'm looking at a local 73 with a 2.0. Just to be sure what should I look for to confirm that it is infact a 2.0 and not a 1.7. Given how many 914's I've looked at these past three months, seems a silly question, blink.gif but all the others I stopped when I saw rust beyond my ability. I know the engine code should be a GB100 but where do you look on the engine for it.
Thanks for the advice.
Doug
Doug73/2.0
Opps my bad...I meant to say code GA95 not the euro code. I know the 1.7 is something like EB72...Just looking for a visual clue to help..Thanks Doug
rick 918-S
Easy way to instantly spot the difference is the intake to head fasteners. 2.0 has 3 fasteners 1.7 and 1.8 have 4. Then check the case numbers. But the heads are a dead givaway at first glance.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Feb 5 2004, 10:15 AM)
Easy way to instantly spot the difference is the intake to head fasteners. 2.0 has 3 fasteners 1.7 and 1.8 have 4. Then check the case numbers. But the heads are a dead givaway at first glance.

agree.gif what he said ^^^^

where the intake runner are bolted onto the head, the 2.0 has 3 bolts, 1.7/1.8 have 4 bolts.

the 2.0L case number is next to the oil-filler ...

Andy
Eric_Shea
I think the easiest way is the air filter box... easily identifiable through the grill. Look for the larger squared off box. Anyone care to post pics?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 5 2004, 11:16 AM)
I think the easiest way is the air filter box... easily identifiable through the grill. Look for the larger squared off box. Anyone care to post pics?

that usually works too ...

altough i have heard of people using a 2.0 intake/airfilter on 1.7/1.8 engines.
Andy
Doug,

The obvious stuff also is the the 73 2.0 came with all of the goodies, IE-leather wheel, center con w-gauges, alloy's, chrome bumpers, padded roll bar and vinyl roll bar sail panels. My opinion is that it is relatively unlikely that a car would be a fake 2.0 and yet have all of the accessories...but, there could have always been an engine swap later on...if this is the case, look at all the stuff noted above.

-BTW, I am in boston and have a 73 2.0, so depending on when and were I could take a look at it with you if you want some help.

-Adam
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry Adam, but my 73 1.7 had all that stuff too. Besides, the engine could have been swaped .
The 2.0 engine code is behind the oil filler. The 1.7 and 1.8 is at top rear of the case on an angle on the passenger side.
Go here for the codes for the different years
http://www.pca.org/914/9144Data.htm
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 5 2004, 12:33 PM)
Go here for the codes for the different years
http://www.pca.org/914/9144Data.htm

or

you could just click the 914Info link on top of every page on this BBS ... wink.gif
Andy
TheCabinetmaker
Oops, I always forget that Andy. It's the same one I think.
Its always possible that an engine swap hapened, but we have so few good cars out here that it's just not real likely that a car has all to equipment and yet isn't origional(I am talking about a car that is being sold as a 2.0, is labeled a 2.0, and appears to be a 2.0), either way, as several people have pointed out, its pretty easy to tell from the engine.
tat2dphreak
I think the engine code is the only way to really know... evne the heads *might* have been swapped.
TheCabinetmaker
Seems to me that a 73 with a GA 2.0 , is a 73 2.0 regardless of the engine that came in it or where that engine came from. Call it a 73 2.0, sell it as a 73 2.0, cause it is!
Dave_Darling
I go by looking at the heads. It is very unlikely for someone to swap the 2.0 heads onto a smaller-displacement engine. Much more so than swapping other parts around.

You can build a motor with 1971cc displacement (stock 2.0 displacement) on any VW Type IV case. It won't be a "real" 914 2.0 without the three-stud heads, though it could make more or less power than a stock 2.0 914 motor.

If the engine number (which is in front of the oil filler on a 914--remember the fan is toward the front of the car!) starts with "GA" or "GB" or "GC", and if it has the three-stud heads, chances are very very good that it's a 2.0 motor.

BTW, I think it's easier to look at where the spark plugs exit the engine tin than to feel for the intake studs. If the plug wires go through the engine tin where the tin is horizontal, on top of the cylinders/heads, you have 1.7 or 1.8 or Bus 2.0 heads. If the plug wires come out on the vertical side part of the engine tin, you have 2.0 914 heads. A little tough to describe, but obvious if you have seen both.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.