Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is this worthy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marrz
I sadly was involved in what was little more then a fender bender in my beloved 91 civic si and am on the market for a new (for me) car, in the craig list ads I came across this

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/845053713.html

It's tempting, but for my life (college student) it's not very practical, but I'm still considering it,
1 is it worth it?
2 what to look for?
3 what is the needed offset for wheels? It does need tires, and I have 185/60-14 on my civic on aftermarket wheels. I'd like to swap them over I know their too small (thanks for that calc) but I need to know what offset I need.

and over all reliability, this would be a year round car until I save enough money to make this a summer only

the owner said it has awards from laguna seca and all roll cage was removed and interior in place, some rust holes but the body in good shape, and 500 miles on a rebuilt engine, I have yet to see it in person

oh bothons on 914 world forums, please endow me with wisdom
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(marrz @ Sep 18 2008, 04:32 PM) *

I sadly was involved in what was little more then a fender bender in my beloved 91 civic si and am on the market for a new (for me) car, in the craig list ads I came across this

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/845053713.html

It's tempting, but for my life (college student) it's not very practical, but I'm still considering it,
1 is it worth it?
2 what to look for?
3 what is the needed offset for wheels? It does need tires, and I have 185/60-14 on my civic on aftermarket wheels. I'd like to swap them over I know their too small (thanks for that calc) but I need to know what offset I need.

and over all reliability, this would be a year round car until I save enough money to make this a summer only

the owner said it has awards from laguna seca and all roll cage was removed and interior in place, some rust holes but the body in good shape, and 500 miles on a rebuilt engine, I have yet to see it in person

oh bothons on 914 world forums, please endow me with wisdom

Porsche uses a unique 4x130 bolt pattern, and only Porsche (and some VW) wheels will fit.

It's badly rusted. I can see it from that small picture... what is showing is nothing compared to what you can't see. Look under the battery, if the battery is even in it's original position on the right hand side of the engine bay. Look under the jack points on the side. Look at the front trunk under the spare tire, look at the rear trunk right in front of the taillights. Look at the floor pan, especially right in front of the firewall. Look at the passenger side door gap. Is the engine a 1.7 or 2.0? Original FI or carbs?

See if you can find someone who knows 914s to go look at it with you. Brad Mayeur in Peoria might be able to put you in touch with someone local.

It might be worth $2000, but it probably won't be a reliable daily driver, and will need rust repair.
wertygrog
I'm in college with a '74 914 as a daily driver! I put in a new 1st gear synchro last night when I should have been doing a lab report haha.

I say go for it. wink.gif
jmill
The car is in Illinois. I wouldn't touch it unless it's just visiting or was stored in the winter. All the salt on the roads up here kill them fast.
dflesburg
1. To make a daily driver, it needs to be fixed first, not while you are driving it. Then it can be a good 9 month a year car.

2. You need transportation in the salty season.

3. Why do you need a car at SIU ?
Dr Evil
I say pass unless you like walking. Not good if you need a dependable car, dont know how to work on these and are on a fixed budget. Also, not a first choice for a place with snow and rain. You will find others, get a dependable driver first and a 914 second. They are still around.
dw914er
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 19 2008, 10:45 AM) *

I say pass unless you like walking. Not good if you need a dependable car, dont know how to work on these and are on a fixed budget. Also, not a first choice for a place with snow and rain. You will find others, get a dependable driver first and a 914 second. They are still around.

agree.gif

The 914 can be a reliable car, but you have to get it there, and there will always be upkeep. Second, the snow and salt roads will kill the car from the rust. If you were in like so cal, the 914 would be better. I used it as a dd for high school, but now i have a another car for college, and the 914 is now my toy. I'd say pass for the 914 as the dd there.
Slider
As cool as the 914 is there are a couple facts that we need to face.

1. 914's are 32+ years old everything is wearing out so they will need either constant upkeep or a full restoration.
2. some parts are not readily available for these cars.. and some are down right next to impossible to find.

On that note i would recommend that you get another vehicle for a Daily Driver and have a 914 as the Toy or Project car ..

drive it because you want to not because you have to. driving.gif
dflesburg
ps.

when you get your first job,
get a car that runs,
then get a place to live with a garage,
then get a 914.

this is the proper order of things.

NOTE: women f*** up this plan every time.

mattillac
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Sep 19 2008, 01:12 PM) *

NOTE: women f*** up this plan every time.

thanks for reminding me. dry.gif it's o.k. as long as they're giving you sexy time.
right now, i'm not o.k. mad.gif slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.