Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 carb/FI ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcam
Sorry for such a basic question for the real teeners here. I recently got a nice 914-6 and love it- great handling/looks, reliving my younger days. The stock webers are fine but require more tuning than I can do... They are fine at startup but rich, hard to start with when warm (stopping to get gas) , OK when hot, weak at altitiude, etc. Very adjustable but I understand why modern cars went to FI. I've considered a more modern Porsche FI but they can also be just as finicky for the untrained. Now I hear about the PMO carbs and their new throttle body. I can handle adjusting valves, oil changes, points, timing, etc every 5-6k miles or so but the carb thing has me very frustrated- no big deal for most of you but, is there an easier way, even if it costs a little. Since this is the definitive source for all info on my new car, what do you think? Btw, it's stock except 2.2 L when last rebuilt.
Joe Bob
A recent Excellence magaizine discussed the PMO versus the Blitz/Megasquirt EFI.....might want to read up on that.
smontanaro
I see the September issue has something about adding EFI to early 911s. No mention in the title about PMOs. Is that the article you're referring to?

Skip

Mark Henry
I did a www.sdsefi.com system for a 2.2 and the guy was quite happy with it. Not going to be cheap.

Most of the time it's linkage issues that screw with the carbs, also sounds like you may have a fuel line to close to a heat exchanger or a pump /regulator problem.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 18 2008, 06:25 PM) *

I see the September issue has something about adding EFI to early 911s. No mention in the title about PMOs. Is that the article you're referring to?

Skip

Yes....passing reference as he REALLY wanted EFI....I believe it was price. PMOS ain't cheap.
brp986s
pmo also make throttles for efi. I contacted sds re: this a year ago, but their system used a vacuum sensor which they said is not well suited to individual throttles. A maf sensor is better method in this case and I believe sds was working on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.