Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost power and Died
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I was out on the highway with my 914 which i just got running again from the first time it died. First time, the fuel pump wiring went bad, fixed it and also the car needed a new battery, did that too. The car fires right up.

Now yesterday, i get the floor pans patched, seat belt mounts done, seat belts in, fire it up and take it for a drive. I get onto the highway and the car is running great, fantastic drive, shifting is what i need to get used to. On my way back to my house(still on the highway) the car started to lose power in fifth gear and the light on the gauge came on with the G above it, that is the generator/alternator light correct?, and starts to die. I downshift, engine revs, and the car keeps losing power. Thankfully i was able to pull off to the shoulder and the car dies, right there. Generator light was still on, put the hazards on, and after awhile the lights stopped flashing. Went to start the car and all that came on were the oil light and gen light in the gauge, no noise from the starter trying to run, nothing.

The car has a brand new battery, did the car die because the alternator wouldn't charge the battery anymore which made the car lose power and die? Thanks everybody
RoadGlue
Sounds like the alternator isn't charging the battery and you ran it out of juice on your test ride. Best to keep it off the highway on the test drives too (if possible).

Check to make sure the alternator belt is there, then check your fuses, and then, well it gets more complicated. Charge the battery and then start your car. The voltage should go up to about 14.4 volts over time. If it starts to go down, then you know for sure that the alternator isn't charging for some reason. Could be a loose connection, bad alternator, screwed up wiring, etc etc. Could just be the voltage regulator as well. It's the square-ish box that's plugged into your relay board in the engine compartment.

Good luck!
Dave_Darling
That would be the first thing to check. Tow the car home, charge up the battery, and then start the engine and see what the charging system is doing.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.