Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dealer installed supplementary Heater!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Dealer installed supplementary heater made by Webasto!

Check out the pics ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Thats coool!
914ghost
Does you guys know how easy that would be?
I've done at least a dozen Gas-Heater installs on Vw's and I wondered why nobody has done that w/ the 914.
If you get a good heater out of a thing or a variant/squareback you can configure them about anyway you want- and the REAL good ones are in the late 70's busses, they're up under the belly pan in the middle, that'd fit easy on top of a 914 tranny- hooked to the underside of the trunk- and you could pipe it into the stock heater.
Since my car is gonna be a daily driver I'll do it and let you know how it goes. smile.gif
Robert O
ArtechnikA
yes, in the days before Photoshop, actual people had to draw those pictures :-) ...

all that's missing is the phrase that says "artist's conception" or "serving suggestion" ...

has anybody ever actually seen one of those IRL ? show of hands ...
Qarl
Supplemental 914 heater... <_<

Wear a jacket!
914ghost
I had a 63' ragtop bug that I could drive in a snowstorm WITH the top open, the heat from the gas heater vaporized the snow befoe it could get in the car. But you had to be carefful where you put stuff, it would melt parts of your shoes, and your gloves if you threw them on the floor next to the outlet to 'warm them up'.
You could drive a 914 with the top off all year long...except in Seattle.
I don't think they're THAT good.
C'mon... .it's gotta make you smile.. a little. huh.gif
Mark Henry
I think Doug (tracks914) had one in his teen, he took it out.
JeffBowlsby
Superb find Andy...

The pics look like they came out of a manual or brochure. They are not in the Factory repair manual, but they look of the same genre.

Do you have the key notes for the numbered itemS, or any more data?

Muchas Gracias - these go on the collectibles site with credit to you Senor....
davep
Wow, that is wild, and something I have never seen before. Where did you find this stuff?

DaveP
tat2dphreak
I've seen those in "thing"s... I always heard if they work, they are too hot... if they don't work, they are DANGEROUS... what do I know though?
seanery
Andy, are these from the book on my shelf that I can't read?

Could this work on a six?
banderson
Why do poeple think that air cooled car dont heat well? My heater will melt my shoes, without the electric blower. Plenty of heat.

Now on my bus, the heat was disconnected beacuse oil leaked into the heater boxes.

Maybe the trick here is SS heat exchangers.
seanery
I agree the -4 heats well, but I'm thinking about a -6. So, will this work? Bueller, Bueller. Anyone?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(banderson @ Feb 5 2004, 02:24 PM)
Why do poeple think that air cooled car dont heat well? My heater will melt my shoes, without the electric blower. Plenty of heat.

mostly, the guys working on alternate heat are running headers, not heat exchangers. a six will make all kinds of heat - if its heat exchangers are intact. the stock HE's were made for a 2,0 engine, and lots of these guys want to run engines 50% bigger and more - the OEM HE's severely restrict the exhaust flow. and they're 30 years old, expensive when you can find them. there aren't [m]any viable stainless /6 HE's.

SSI /4 HE's are, AFAIK, no longer in production - i have no idea how many are warehoused.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 5 2004, 01:52 PM)
Wow, that is wild, and something I have never seen before. Where did you find this stuff?

got the pix off a german 914 website.

turns out, the heater unit was made by "Webasto" (which is still in business) ...
it seems like, it was an option (dealer install) in germany when you ordered your 914.
it's called a "Standheizung", just like the ones for the vw-bus etc.
burns fuel and has a timer-clock to set it.

i couldn't find any info about the product on their web-site,
maybe someone should send them a email and inquire ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 5 2004, 04:49 PM)
SSI /4 HE's are, AFAIK, no longer in production - i have no idea how many are warehoused.

about 200 sets ...
mightyohm
Webasto made the OEM gas heaters for 911s too. The ones that went in the "smuggler's box".
Bleyseng
I had a gas heater in my 64 1500S squareback. Great on cold mornings, just run out and turn it on. Come backin 5 minutes and the car was hot! It would burn your feet if you drove around with it on though.

Always wanted one for the buses I had but never did. Gosh, I don't see the need for one in a 914 as the heater works fine. Maybe if I had the headers on all the time.

Geoff
wes
I had a gas heater in my old VW hippie bus, I was stationed in Alaska temps sometimes -100 chill temp and that thing worked great, it was in the bus when I bought it!
GeorgeRud
Are those the actual 914 fitment parts or just generic Webasto heater parts? I have a Eberspacher gas fuel heater that I've always been interested in fitting, but then I found a good set of heat exchangers so have just hung onto it for 'someday'. I think everyone would love to see any pictures of an actual installation.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 31 2015, 11:21 AM) *
Are those the actual 914 fitment parts or just generic Webasto heater parts?

The parts in the first picture were supposedly removed from a 914 but i have no way of confirming that.
smile.gif
pete000
Wow what a rare option, bet not offered in too many countries. Early 911's had them in the US. I have a friend with a 67 911 S with one.
tdgray
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2015, 02:29 PM) *

The parts in the first picture were supposedly removed from a 914 but i have no way of confirming that.
smile.gif

Do you have them in your possession?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tdgray @ Feb 1 2015, 11:20 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2015, 02:29 PM) *
smile.gif
Do you have them in your possession?

No, i do not, i only have the pictures ...
sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.