Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1975 1.8 A/C Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chcjr
My 1975 A/C unit (origionally installed by the dealer) just quit working because the drive belt broke. Could some one please tell me the correct part number so I can buy a new one.

Also, What is the best way to install a new belt.
blitZ
You can usually take your old belt to your FLAPS and they can match it. Dunno about installation, I just take off the roof and drive fast.
hcdmueller
I just went and searched my garage for my AC belt. I couldn't find it though, sorry.

The AC pulley is behind the cooling fan so changing it will will require removing the cooling fan and housing from the front of the engine. You might be able to get by with just taking off the cooling fan but I have never tried.
chcjr
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Sep 19 2008, 12:41 PM) *

I just went and searched my garage for my AC belt. I couldn't find it though, sorry.

The AC pulley is behind the cooling fan so changing it will will require removing the cooling fan and housing from the front of the engine. You might be able to get by with just taking off the cooling fan but I have never tried.

Thanks for the info. If you come across the belt in the future please let me know the number.

Is removing the cooling fan and housing difficult?
type47
QUOTE(chcjr @ Sep 19 2008, 10:06 AM) *

Is removing the cooling fan and housing difficult?

Yes or no depending on what you call difficult and your mechanical ability. my understanding of the a/c system in a 914 would require that the belt be looped over the fan (a/c pulley is on crank behind the fan) onto the a/c pulley then fed behind the fan housing to loop on the compressor pulley. not easy (at least it wouldn't be for me) working thru the engine compartment lid. i wonder if it would be easier/faster to drop the engine (incredible as it sounds) to replace the belt only for the convenience of access to the area, i don't think you have to remove the fan or fan housing. just loosen the compressor tension bolt/nuts, belt over cooling fan to a/c pulley, feed belt thru housing to compressor pulley, over pulley, tension belt with bolts/nut. surely the good Cap'n has done this and will contribute his answer.
maf914
Type47's sequence looks pretty good, but you would also have to remove the fan/alternator belt since this is on the outer part of the cooling fan, blocking access past the fan. That said, I am not sure there is enough room between the outer diameter of the cooling fan and the inner diameter of the cooling shroud to work the AC belt past the fan. idea.gif

I think you can tell there is not a lot of first hand experience on the board when it comes to 914's with AC systems. laugh.gif
southernmost914
IF you have a VPC system, part#ZVW 234 217. If you have a DPD system ,part#ZAW 800 1182 (11MM X 1180MM). To replace the belt, loosen the altenator and remove belt. Remove the 3 fan/blower wheel bolts and remove fan. Lay the belt over the a/c drive pulley and replace fan/fan bolts. Replace alternator belt and adjust and tighten alternator. Loosen compressor adjusting bolts. Replace compessor belt and adjust. Now chill.

Steve
type47
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 19 2008, 12:11 PM) *

you would also have to remove the fan/alternator belt since this is on the outer part of the cooling fan, blocking access past the fan.

oh yea, i didn't think of that confused24.gif

there is enough room between the outer diameter of the cooling fan and the inner diameter of the cooling shroud to work the AC belt past the fan. idea.gif

I think you can tell there is not a lot of first hand experience on the board when it comes to 914's with AC systems. laugh.gif

true that. i removed the a/c system on my first 914.
jesiv
QUOTE(chcjr @ Sep 19 2008, 08:46 AM) *

My 1975 A/C unit (origionally installed by the dealer) just quit working because the drive belt broke. Could some one please tell me the correct part number so I can buy a new one.

Also, What is the best way to install a new belt.

That's easy just give me the keys. Do you really have a 75 with working A/C? I have questions...

Regards,

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.