Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the average cost of a 2.4 cis motor from a 911T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
Next upgrade item on my wish list. The thinking is the next motor up from the 2.0 four by porsche made in 1973.

thanks,

Levon

smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Forget it. 2.4 T cis parts haven't been available for around 20 years, and they're NOT common to any other engine. The Cap'n
PeeGreen 914
I bought my 2.4 with carbs for 3k. It needed some work to get it running right.
Dr Evil
I have a full 2.4 CIS setup if you are in need smile.gif
levonfarra
Do the 2.4 with carbs. make 140 hp? Also, are the parts hard to find on that as well?
PeeGreen 914
Yes and no. I believe with a little head work you can do very well with the 2.4l depending on which one you find. Once I rebuild mine it should be way more than that. Parts are all over for the carbed engines. CIS I really don't know about but Mike said he has the setup for you.
Dr Evil
Unless you are dead set on CIS, go carbs and be happy. You can then switch the p/c to better ones and get much better hp.

I kept CIS for fuel economy, it came with the engine, it looks neat, I like headaches wink.gif , etc. Ultimately, the CIS is not very practical and I would recommend another injection setup if you must.

But, you can always buy my rare 2.4 CIS setup wink.gif
levonfarra
I am not very mechanical. I want something easy to maintain, reliable and stable without spending a fortune. Is 2.4 with carbs my best option for a six?
PeeGreen 914
Define best. It is a very good option with carbs as they are great engines. The one I got was and is pissing me off with a ton of popping but I got mine with the knowledge I would be rebuilding it after the AX season. I know a few of our local guys that have 2.4ls in their car and use it as a daily driver. They run very well and have plenty of power. If you are wanting to find a good one try to find a 2.4l E and go with that. If it is in good shape and ready to plug in you should pay around 4 to 5k but may ne able to find it for less. I was shopping for mine for a while and had to pass on a few very nice ones that I have had if I wanted to spend 5k on it.
levonfarra
I was thinking 2.4 from a 911T. The 2.4 IS and 2.4 IE you are talking about are from the 911S and E I assume, and they are probably more expesive, right? or am I not clear on what you are talking about? Basically I am considering an entry level six (most affordable and easy to maintain with parts readily available)

thanks,
PeeGreen 914
The 2.4E should be available for about the same and it is a good engine to have. The T is the least powerful and the E is kid of the middle and the S is the race engine. Parts are readily available for all of these but the S will generally cost you more. I could have picked up a very nice E for $4500 if I could have acted on it quick. I snoozed and missed out. They come up every now and again. Just be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

The reason I am advising the 2.4E is because it has great midrange power. You would be very happy with this engine.
Dr Evil
Also, a 2.7 is fairly cheap to get and so long as you fix up the weak points it is a great engine. Probably cheaper than the 2.4
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 20 2008, 12:50 PM) *

Also, a 2.7 is fairly cheap to get and so long as you fix up the weak points it is a great engine. Probably cheaper than the 2.4

agree.gif Or for around 5-6K with no extra ENG, work go 3.2. Installed 3 in he last two years. Narrowed body cars great package. 2.4 is great but 40 extra HP and 100 extra pds in he back is??????. back a few years ago 2.2 2.4 where cost effective conversation but those motor now cost as much as a 3.2 sometimes IMHO For rebuilt, stronge complete reliable motors. Still a great package going to a 2.4. But I went from 914-6 2.0 to a 914-6 2.4 to a 914-6 2.7 CIS and now I have the 3.2. fast enough so I stopped. Just my 2cent

May I suggest you find a budget start putting your conversation part together by buying then from 914World and Ebay. You will save allot from buying new. While putting your parts together be prepared and when the right motor comes along act fast thay don’t last long. Ask me how I know.
IronHillRestorations
agree.gif

As far as a 6 conversion, purchase the engine LAST! Do your brake and suspension upgrades before you pull the engine, keep the car on the road as long as possible. If you pull the engine first and then start all the "as long as" stuff you'll be out of a 914 for a year or way longer.

Get all the ancillaries lined out and get the car ready for the 6, then get the engine in the car and running ASAP, so if you've got any guarantee or promise as to the serviceability of the engine, you can make your "claim" within a reasonable amount of time.

Getting your engine first, and then getting in the car a year or three later is a recipe for trouble.
markb
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 20 2008, 01:04 PM) *

agree.gif

As far as a 6 conversion, purchase the engine LAST! Do your brake and suspension upgrades before you pull the engine, keep the car on the road as long as possible. If you pull the engine first and then start all the "as long as" stuff you'll be out of a 914 for a year or way longer.

Get all the ancillaries lined out and get the car ready for the 6, then get the engine in the car and running ASAP, so if you've got any guarantee or promise as to the serviceability of the engine, you can make your "claim" within a reasonable amount of time.

Getting your engine first, and then getting in the car a year or three later is a recipe for trouble.

agree.gif Really good advice.
morgan_harwell
Do a search on Pelican Part's 911 Classifieds for price research.

>Forget it. 2.4 T cis parts haven't been available for around 20 years, and they're NOT common to any other engine. The Cap'n<

If you need 2.4L-CIS parts, go to the 2.7L catalog. My 2.4L-CIS engine has a 2.7L fuel dist. & 2.7L ignition dist. The 2.4L versions are NLA new. Put in a 'flapper valve' to protect the unique air-box from back-fires. The fuel dist. on my engine had to be replaced because the engine sat unused for a couple of years before I bought it.

>I kept CIS for fuel economy, it came with the engine, it looks neat, I like headaches, etc. Ultimately, the CIS is not very practical and I would recommend another injection setup if you must.<

My 2.4L-CIS/6 has been very good to me and my 914. Probably everyone here is sick of hearing about it by now, but that 2.4L engine has been awesome. It had 90K miles on it when I bought it in 1987 and I've been driving it ever since, averaging 10K miles/year. The 2.4L-CIS engine now has 290K miles on it, and still runs as good as it did 20 years ago, like a good little Porsche should! And the exhaust note is pure Porsche! It gets better gas mileage than the /4 it replaced, passes smog tests the /4 couldn't (the /6 would pass today if tested), and has 50 more HP than the /4 it replaced. If I had not swapped in the 2.4L-CIS/6 20 years ago, I doubt I would own a 914 today. The 2.4L engine made that much difference in performance and reliability.

Headaches?
Not even! Tuning simplicity in the extreme. And both of our CIS Porsches have been dumbfoundingly realiable for the past 3 decades. My wife's car is a 911SC with 317K miles on it's original 3.0L-CIS engine. Purely by chance we wound up with the 2 most bullit proof /6 engines Porsche ever put to market; the 1973.5 2.4T-CIS and the 1978-83 911SC 3.0L-CIS. Neither car has ever had a Fuel Injection issue, ever(well except for the fuel dist. above). Lots of tires, clutches, reupholstery, brakes, etc.. But, just give them regular tune-ups, good quality gas/oil and, as our 2 cars have proven, they just run forever.

My 2.4L-CIS/6 replaced a dual-webber carb'd 2.0L/4 that needed carb/ignition tweeking constantly! PITA! It would run great one day and could not get out of it's own way the next. PITA!
The /4 couldn't pass smog if it's life depended on it (thats why the /4 is a boat anchor now)(stupid me for buying it in the 1st place!).
The /4 got 19-20 mpg in mixed driving, the CIS/6 gets 22mpg on the same routes. Both engines got ~35 mpg on the highway.

I fantasize about upgrading to a 3.2L-DME engine, once the 2.4L-CIS engine wears out, but those 3.2L head rebuilds every 100K miles sounds pricey over the long run. If I rebuild the 2.4L, it will probably scoot around the countryside for another 290K+ miles, trouble-free.

(Did you think you could SLAM CIS engines without me taking notice smile.gif
Dr Evil
Um, Morgan, I wasnt slamming CIS, I have a 2.7 CIS right now. I find that if it is not good to go out of the bag it can bit a headache to figure out. I am waiting for the time when it is figured out and runs like it should, trouble free.

My car still sucks ass on startup, what do you use on start up to get it going? Do you have some sort of warm up system? Crusty said that they didnt have such until later and as such my 74 doesnt have one. If I could get it to start, it would be fine. BUT, carbs are more main stream and easier to get help and advise with. I dont like carbs, too easy.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Sep 20 2008, 09:37 AM) *

without spending a fortune.

Wrong conversion for that..... sad.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Sep 20 2008, 10:37 AM) *

I am not very mechanical. I want something easy to maintain, reliable and stable without spending a fortune. Is 2.4 with carbs my best option for a six?

Honda it is!! poke.gif

I had a 75 2.7 CIS motor, it was very reliable. Had it for 8 years and always ran! (pretty good)

I upgraded to a carbed 3.0 for more power and the 2.7 needed to be rebuilt. I had to spend awhile getting the carbs tuned (and they were rebuilt), but it was worth it. But the motronic is a very good system that gets great gas mileage.

A couple things if you put in a carbed 3.0+ you will need an MSD ignition or 6 pin CDI and the distributor will need to be recurved (if it hasn't already). Also the clutch/flywheel setup is different on the 3.0 and bigger motors...

I think it will really come down to the best deal you can find on a new motor. smile.gif
brant
definitely buy the motor last

the problem with the 1973CIS motor is that they were only built for a half year and actually have a very rare case due to the limited numbers that were built.

racers like those cases

the E and S motors also are rare and kinda expensive

now a MFI 2.4T, or a CIS 2.7 are going to be much more common and somewhat cheaper. The MFI stuff is starting to get a premium however.

but that 2.4CIS case was only built for 6 months and people buy them up to get that case (I've bought 2, and am casually looking for another)

they all cost big bucks to rebuild
so buying a motor (any size) with a known history, or properly rebuilt could save you money over having to pay yourself to have it rebuilt.

brant
PRS914-6
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 21 2008, 10:36 PM) *

definitely buy the motor last

the problem with the 1973CIS motor is that they were only built for a half year and actually have a very rare case due to the limited numbers that were built.

racers like those cases
brant

Are you talking about a 5R case?
morgan_harwell
1973.5 2.4T CIS engine should have a '7R' case.
Mine does anyway.
jasons
QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Sep 22 2008, 10:29 AM) *

1973.5 2.4T CIS engine should have a '7R' case.
Mine does anyway.

Yeah, small bore 7R. I have a complete longblock thats MFI, small bore 7R. Its 911/51 sportomatic, mfi. Its a weird bird since most small bore 7R's are CIS.

It calls your name Brant.
brant
Jason,

I'm tempted.
I dunno
if I can sell a car yet this year I might be able to buy it...

Paul,
the very first of the 7R cases have the small spiggots that will accept 2.0 cylinders. But they only made the case that way for 6 months. Once the 2.7 cars came out in 1974, the case spiggots were opened up
(not useable for small bore or vintage legal motors any longer)

in fact supertech has done a few race motors with a spiggot collar he created to re-shrink the bigger motors down. But $$$$$

its not that they are unobtainable. A real S motor with S numbers is going to cost more. but they are in the mid range of desireability, and you can probably find a 2.7 cis motor of similar condition for the same or less than a 2.4 one.

brant

brant
jasons
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 22 2008, 10:56 PM) *

Jason,

I'm tempted.
I dunno
if I can sell a car yet this year I might be able to buy it...

No hurry, it just sits as inventory in my garage. I just know I will not use it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.