Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle body leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
Once the AAR kicks off after warm, the idle hunts from 1000 to 0 RPM. I changed the vacuum lines and it still hunts. So I tried the starting fluid trick and sprayed it at the base of the throttle body. The idle held right at 1000 rpm until the starting fluid dissipated and then it began to hunt again. I did this several times with the same results. Do you think Threebond 1104 can be used and work at the base of the throttle body? I ordered the gasket several months ago, but it has been on back order or is not available (cant remember which).

Thanks for the help.
SirAndy
make sure it's not cracked. sad.gif
they do that from time to time ...

take it off and check it for cracks,
Andy
415PB
Thanks Andy, I will do that now, but how about the 1104?
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Feb 5 2004, 04:45 PM)
Thanks Andy, I will do that now, but how about the 1104?

don't know cause i don't know what 1104 is ... <_<
Brad Roberts
The 2.0 intake plenum cracks around the two supports that are brazed into the center just to the outside of the actual base for the throttle body. They break because most people dont know that they should adjust the throttle stop below the gas pedal... every time you floor it it pulls on the throttle body and will crack the plenum if not adjusted properly.

B
415PB
The throttle body appears okay with no cracks. I will check the plenum now. As far as sealing the throttle body back to the plenum. Would it be okay to use a sealant instead of the gasket?
Bleyseng
Yes, plus check the throttle shaft for slop. The damn things can leak real bad if worn out. Before reinstalling the TB sand it flat cuz they get warped from overtighting.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Use sealant on the gasket.. no reason not to use the gasket. It has worked well for 30+ years now.

B
415PB
Okay, I used the sealant on the old gasket and it works great. Meaning it no longer hunts. It warms up at 1700 RPM then when the AAR kicks off it idles at 1200 RPM. The idle adjustment screw is turned in almost all the way and when turned out the idle rises. I played a little with the adjustment on the ECU but it makes no difference. The AAR is shutting off, I checked this when warm and it is not sucking air. Any ideas? The Decel valve is plugged and I dont know where is to look.
Brad Roberts
You have multiple leaks in multiple area's. The one that has kicked my butt most often... the PCV valve on the oil filler. If it leaks.. or is broken... it can/will mislead you.

B
Bleyseng
Do you have the vacuum retard and vacuum advance hoses hooked up right?
Is the timing set to 27degrees btdc? Hoses off and plugged when checking witha light.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.