Full Version: MODIFIED MY MONZA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
it is not exactly what i had in mind but i think
it looks a lot better.
do you think it looks to ricey?
also changed my push rod tube seals while
i had every thing apart.
used the green viton o rings and synthetic grease.

BEFORE
Ray Warren
RWEGE
Ray Warren
AFTER
Ray Warren
WFGFDG
Aaron Cox
intellesting...vewy intellesting! smilie_pokal.gif
jridder
It think it looks fine.

This car looks a little too ricey for me though:
TimT
Mo betta....

I never did like the 4 pipes of the monza or ansa exhaust ( or supershit/sprint?)

I like it!!
Eric_Shea
Much cooler with the single tips! smilie_pokal.gif
Carrera916
Yeah!

That looked really good and somewhat closer to the appearance of a 911 sport muffler.

I personally hate the Monza appearance and would have prefered what you have now. I can't see the actual diameter of your outlets, maybe a tad too big than the sport muffler outlets, but hell, it looked so much better than what you had!

I have thought about making a Spyder single outlet, sticking out right in the middle of the rear with a diameter of 75-90 mm, just like the Spyder so you've got me motivated to do so...... mueba.gif

j
ChrisReale
Looks nice. I never liked the 4 tip exhausts either... I like what you have done.
Dave-O
I did a similar project on mine. I used rectangular tips i found at a swap meet. I wanted to put a single rectangular tip in the middle but it really doesn't work with a monza. I'll post some pics if i ever find a program to cut the resolution a little bit. Nice work!

David
morph
i think it looks kool. much better
giving me ideas for my empi pipes smile.gif
Andyrew
Now that looks sweet. Ya, that looks good, Hmmmmm I have an extra monza... I guess Im going to have some fun this weekend with the welder!!!

Andrew
maf914
Nice work. Could you post some pics of the muffler to show how you made the changes?

Mike

BTW, very clean looking car. Nice straught bumper.
BIGKAT_83
Looks great much better than the 4 tips

Lets see some pictures of the mods to the muffler itself.... smile.gif smile.gif
tat2dphreak
Ich liebe dass!

I have a monza as well!!... if it didn't need replacing I would do that!! Kudos on a great job! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
what? no one likes the 4 tips ????

i don't like 'em when they're in an angle going up (like in your before picture).
the one i got has straight pipes and they're shorter too, don't stick out that much.

me likes 4 tips cool.gif
IPB Image
tat2dphreak
mine is like andys... point straight out... I like 4 tips fine... and I love the SOUND of the monza... who needs a radio... you can't hear it over that! I do think the 2 tips look "cleaner" though
aufaber
Anything is better than the monza tips!

That actualy looks pretty good. I'm realy not a fan of the monza.. a flat 4 shouldn't be that.. well.. whatever that sound is.
aufaber
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2004, 10:19 AM)
what? no one likes the 4 tips ????

i don't like 'em when they're in an angle going up (like in your before picture).
the one i got has straight pipes and they're shorter too, don't stick out that much.

me likes 4 tips cool.gif

My god! 4 tips AND cookie cutters... the horror.
SirAndy
QUOTE(aufaber @ Feb 6 2004, 10:43 AM)

haha ... Brad, is that you?!? laugh.gif

if you wanna piss off people, you better do it right ... pissoff.gif

i LOVE the cookies. they were cheap too ($50 each). lightweight. 7". perfect. wub.gif

Andy
aufaber
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2004, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE(aufaber @ Feb 6 2004, 10:43 AM)

haha ... Brad, is that you?!? laugh.gif

if you wanna piss off people, you better do it right ... pissoff.gif

i LOVE the cookies. they were cheap too ($50 each). lightweight. 7". perfect. wub.gif

Andy

laugh.gif

Well I can't argue that, the cookies are very fuctional.. just looks like someone set thier face on fire and put it out with an axe.
Ray Warren
all i did was cut off the dual tip with an air powered
cut off tool and used bolt on 3" OD stainless steel
tips with a slight mitre cut angle that i got at the local FLAPS. my rear valance has no cut outs for a
tail pipe and i didn't want to cut it because i eventually want to get a triad and cut the valance to fit the triad, so these sit about 3/8 " below the valance.
when the 3 feet of snow outside melts i might take
the car to an exhaust shop and have them properly
welded on or i might just leave it the way it is.
unless you get down on your hands and knees
you can't see the mounting bolts that hold them on.
i will post some mounting pics tomorrow.
i can't get far enough behind the car to get a good
straight on shot of the tips.

on another note:
if anybody is thinking of doing there push rod seals
and they have never done this before.
DO NOT BE AFRAID! this job was fairly easy to do.
Dave-O
Here's the pic of it on the bench. Sorry for the crappy spray paint job.
Dave-O
Here's a pic of it on the car. The tips are pretty hard to see with this lighting. It's not exactly what i want but it was cheap and i think it looks ok.
Brad Roberts
Dave O.. GREAT JOB clap56.gif I love the late model look of the Z28 outlets on the 914. I had this same idea for a V8 914 years ago when the Z's first started showing up with them. The muffler shops had them for free because all the GM guy's yanked them OFF for true duals.

Twasnt me Andy.. I dont "hate" the look.

B
Dave-O
Gee Thanks, I tought i was going to get ripped on for my peiced togheter ghetto exhaust ar15.gif . Now if you guys just saw the rest of it laugh.gif . A few things to note about these tips. The ones i got were exact copies of each other. In order to make mirror coppies i had to cut off the end of one and reweld it to make the bevels match. you can see the inside of the weld line on the inside of the RH tip in the pic. Also they came with 2 1/2 inch inlets so i had to get it down to the size of the tiny outlet of the monza smash.gif . The only real noticable difference in sound is at idle. The baffled monza tips smoothed that out a little bit. Now it has a bit of an "echo". At normal running RPM's the monza is so friggen loud it's hard to tell a difference.

David
Brad Roberts
Nah.. people ripping on people on the web... NEVER happens... laugh.gif laugh.gif I try hard to reward those that have shown hard work with a compliment every once in awhile. The people who RIP other people normally have NO clue what it takes to physically build cars/projects. I respect the time and labor even if I dont like the look personally. It is one of the few things I do that show's some professionalism on my part.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.