Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Amazing automotive comparison article
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Meyer

For an inexplicable reason I thought I'd share this. I came across this comparison of a Boxster to a Solstice. As interesting as the subject may or may not be. The depth and insight of this analysis just amazes me. headbang.gif It leaves me wondering if the author can even drive yet.

Here is the best part (and I included the entire discussion on this subject):

"Handling
The Boxster and the Solstice have about comparable tires. With their comparable turning radiuses, the Pontiac Solstice and the Boxster quite certainly handle roughly the same into and out of tight spots. " ar15.gif

There is more if you found that helpful: New Cars dot com

turboman808
Not a very informative article. About the only thing the solstice has over the boxster is it's price. When looking for a new car I checked out the M roadster, Boxster S, Turbo Miata and the solstice gxp.

Z4 didn't impress me much. We have one at work I drive time to time buts it's a base model. Not fast at all. Getting a M series Z4 just seemed like a bad idea.

Boxster S. I really don't like the porsche styling anymore. Once you get behind the wheel and drive it how the car looks doesn't matter much. I still have to walk out to my garage and see a ugly boxster looking back at me. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Next I checked out the solstice GXP. It's very fun to drive and the looks are 10 times better then the Z4 or the Boxster. The interior is really cheap. The stereo system is terrific. Half the price of a boxster S or Z4. Just as fast.

I was pretty dead set on the solstice at this point but went to check out the miata anyways. Right away I was turned off by it. Interior was even worse then the solstice but then so was the outside. I didn't even bother driving it.

So I got the solstice. The tires that it comes with have got to be the worst tires I have ever used. Might be a slight exageration but not by much. $1200 on new wheels and tires and the car was transformed. Then I spent about $600 on some engine upgrades and now have roughly 300 hp and 310 lbs of torque.

I want to take it to get custom leather interior this winter and then finally have a respectable looking car(around $3000). But as it sits it can hold it's own against the boxster S and Z4. Few thousand more and it will have close to 400 hp and I will still only have spent $38k on the car.

I would have to say if my 914 was running good and I didn't already buy the solstice I would more then likely buy a jaguar XKR. Not saying I would for sure but I would like to.
johannes
You haven't seen the best test !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaTnd3ozcaE

Watch this one .
Brando
Wow. That article was, deep, man.
LowGT
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 22 2008, 03:23 PM) *

Next I checked out the solstice GXP. It's very fun to drive and the looks are 10 times better then the Z4 or the Boxster. The interior is really cheap. The stereo system is terrific. Half the price of a boxster S or Z4. Just as fast.

So I got the solstice. The tires that it comes with have got to be the worst tires I have ever used. Might be a slight exageration but not by much. $1200 on new wheels and tires and the car was transformed. Then I spent about $600 on some engine upgrades and now have roughly 300 hp and 310 lbs of torque.

I want to take it to get custom leather interior this winter and then finally have a respectable looking car(around $3000). But as it sits it can hold it's own against the boxster S and Z4. Few thousand more and it will have close to 400 hp and I will still only have spent $38k on the car.

I'm not sure how much, if any, performance difference there is between the Saturn Sky Redline and the Solstice GXP, but I felt the Sky did a better job with the interior and seating over the Solstice with two-toned leather and dash and brushed silver trim. I favored the angular design of the Sky over the rounded Solstice, but it's all personal preference. The Sky/Solstice is definitely the car I would have gone with as well, I think you made a great choice. aktion035.gif

At the Dallas Auto Show the had a Solstice GXP fastback, kinda looked like a Viper GTS and the lady said it was a targa top. Everything was electronic and the rear hatch popped up a few inches and the targa slid under it. It was sweet.
zymurgist
I've heard from some Corvette guys that the current generation small block will fit in the Solstice / Sky engine bay. idea.gif
Gary
Looks like a handful: http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.