Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: throttle cable snapped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
anyone have the procedure (hopefully with pics) on how to replace it?
BMartin914
Goes thru the tunnel from the pedal assy. back thru the firewall and curves up and thru a grommet in the sheetmetal and back toward the engine.

The pedal board and the inspection cover under the center tray need to come out so you can guide it up to the pedal assy.
Wes V
I'm pretty sure (and others can jump in here) that when you go to install the new one, you have to feed it in from the firewall side. It's difficult (or impossible) to get the cable into the tube adjacent to the pedal assembly.

Wes
mattp
huh? so I should start from engine and work way forward to pedal? Where is the tunnel inspection hatch? I did not see one while I was figuring out the cable snapped, also how does cable attach to pedal? thanks!!!!
can I do this without lift. Matt
jimkelly
see pic

connection to peddle assy (cable to here) just pops off if pushed

remove this part from old cable

install new cable and then reattache above threaded end
jimkelly
the inspection access area won't help any because the cable runs thru a tube and the exit for the cable is near the peddle assy
jimkelly
yes - you gotta feed it to the peddle assy from the fire wall forward - as the section of cable that stays in the engine bay is fully sheathed (thick) and the section that goes thru the tube is not or only lightly sheathed.
Tom
Could one tie a thin wire to the bad cable, pull it out to the rear at the firewall and then hook the wire to the new one and pull it forward back to the pedal assy?
I replaced my speedo cable using this procedure. Worked OK.
Tom
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 22 2008, 08:24 PM) *

Could one tie a thin wire to the bad cable, pull it out to the rear at the firewall and then hook the wire to the new one and pull it forward back to the pedal assy?
I replaced my speedo cable using this procedure. Worked OK.
Tom

Do not tie a string to the old cable. It can stick in the tube and then be difficult to remove. Disconnect at the pedal. Remove the fitting at the end of the cable. Pull the cable out from the engine compartment. Install in the reverse order. Push the cable into the tube at the firewall. Screw the fitting on the end of the cable. Connect it to the pedal linkage. Connect the other end of the throttle cable to the throttle body. Make sure the throttle closes fully. Adjust the pedal stop at the point where the throttle is fully open. This last step is important. If omitted, you can break the cable or pull the throttle cable out of the throttle body. Either scenario will leave you without throttle control.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 22 2008, 06:06 PM) *

the inspection access area won't help any because the cable runs thru a tube and the exit for the cable is near the peddle assy

There's a second "inspection" access plate in the front of the tunnel ...
shades.gif Andy
MoveQik
I fed mine from the firewall forward and it went through no problem. The hardest part was finding the end near the pedal after I had it all the way in. An extenable magnet made it much easier!

If I can handle it, anyone can. biggrin.gif
jimkelly
pic

** very important - do not tangle or wrap the cable around the clutch cable - look in the tunnel using a mirror thru the forward access - to make sure the clutch and the throttle cables are not interferring with each other.
lotus_65
one of my headaches...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=throttle

this pain is reserved for a select few, hopefully you are not one! there are a few decent pics though, and you can rent the tool I found (after I was all done) to clean out the mess for $50.
Bartlett 914
If something gets jammed in the tube, a simple tool to use is an electricians fish tape used for pulling wires in conduit. Cut the end off and push in the hole until you hit the obstruction. You may need to grip the tape with vise grips. Working in and out you can remove a fairly stuck obstruction (BTDT).
mattp
holy crap! That sounds horrible! Now I am scared about replacing the throttle cable this weekend!!!

BTW mine snapped off right at the attachment point to the pedal and seems very easy to pull back towards engine. But now I am scared to push the new one through!!!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mattp @ Sep 23 2008, 09:07 AM) *

holy crap! That sounds horrible! Now I am scared about replacing the throttle cable this weekend!!!

BTW mine snapped off right at the attachment point to the pedal and seems very easy to pull back towards engine. But now I am scared to push the new one through!!!

YOU ARE FINE! Don't worry. It is a really easy job. You have just read all the stupid mistakes and rare problems that happen and how these were resolved. Pull it out. put it in, connect and don't forget to adjust the pedal stop. You will be happy with the new smooth operation.
rjames
Don't worry. It is a really easy job.

agree.gif
Zundfolge
Side note, make sure the throttle pedal stop is properly adjusted (your pedal should hit the stop at precisely the same moment it opens the throttle 100%).

Mine wasn't so I'm replacing the throttle cable AGAIN after only 3 months (to be fair, I haven't got around to sorting out the adjustments on my carbs so I have to pump the hell out of the car before starting, so I probably put 10 years of wear on the cable in that 3 months).

But its an easy procedure. Should take all of 10 minutes.
mattp
not sure Ihave a throttle stop, anyone have a picture of it?
thanks for the reponses, its been great! matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.