Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Breather Venting for a carb'd six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
Ok I did some searching and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I just got my carb'd six running, My crank breather goes into the oil tank and the other oil tank hole has a filter on it. But you can smell the breather fumes and it wouldn't suprise me if a little oil dripped out of the filter. Please dont tell me I have to mount a water bottle in the trunk. smile.gif

So... is there a good breather system that you can use to vent the oil tank(stock loc) that doesn't smell? Also can you use regular autozone heater hose for the crank breather connection? It looks like it may not hold the temps...
brant
mount a water bottle.
here were the lightest ones I could come up with at the time that met my $50 per a pound rule when I was building...

the titanium ones were lighter, but outside of my weight=$ rule
smdubovsky
The breather has fumes. You either need to condense them & collect into a bottle/tank or burn them the way the factory did.

The water shield air cleaners have a place to hook a breather line up to so the carbs suck in the fumes. CIS injection does the same thing (routes the breather into the airbox.)

You can also do both. Use a catch tank AND run its vent to the carbs. That way you burn less of the oil.
Cap'n Krusty
Heater hose, besides being too small, isn't oil proof, and will deteriorate rapidly in an oil vapor environment. The Cap'n
Justinp71
Has anyone used this:

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1196/

It looks like it might do the trick...
Justinp71
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 22 2008, 11:42 PM) *

mount a water bottle.
here were the lightest ones I could come up with at the time that met my $50 per a pound rule when I was building...

Thanks for the pic.

Do you only need this when you race? Where do you have your vent to atmosphere to release pressure?
mskala
Is there a reason to not use the stock air box that has the connection for this?
brant
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Sep 24 2008, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 22 2008, 11:42 PM) *

mount a water bottle.

Thanks for the pic.

Do you only need this when you race? Where do you have your vent to atmosphere to release pressure?

my water bottle is just a puke bottle
its the same purpose as the patrick motorsports "fancy pukebottle" you posted
mine is vented to the atmosphere still, in that the hose going into it is not air tight
it has to breath some

the patrick one you posted breathes also
it has to
I'm guessing the top of it is not sealed.

any puke bottle will work
but your options are:

1) feed the puke into the intake (through an airbox or through the rainshield)
2) feed the puke into a bottle
3) leave the vent off of the tank open and essentially feed the puke into the engine bay and air.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.