Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut Identification Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
I purchased some parts from a 914 racer a few years ago that included a pair of 911 front struts. The number on one of the strut bodies is 90134108410. Anyone know what year/model 911 this is from?
Richard Casto

That part number is listed in the 70-73 911 PET. I am not very good at understanding some of the cryptic info listed in PET. The description for that part is...

"spring strut s-caliper -koni- see classic ti 8/93" Your number is for the right hand side. It also looks to be for the 72-73 911 T/E/S. I don't understand what they mean by "spring strut" as it shows a spring on the strut in this diagram (is this a racing coilover setup?) I also don't understand what the "see classic ti 8/93" means either.

You can view/download the PET catalogs for various models/years here...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...tspdfcatalogue/
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 23 2008, 10:19 AM) *

...It also looks to be for the 72-73 911 T/E/S. I don't understand what they mean by "spring strut" as it shows a spring on the strut in this diagram (is this a racing coilover setup?)

Boge. "to 1971"

This is the infamous "hydropneumatic" strut.

junk.

sorry...
Richard Casto
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 23 2008, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 23 2008, 10:19 AM) *

...It also looks to be for the 72-73 911 T/E/S. I don't understand what they mean by "spring strut" as it shows a spring on the strut in this diagram (is this a racing coilover setup?)

Boge. "to 1971"

This is the infamous "hydropneumatic" strut.

junk.

sorry...

There are two lines in PET with the same part number. I missed that they had the same number and was focusing on the second one. I had looked at the first and figured "hydropneumatic" because of the weird spring thing, it was Boge (creator of the hydropneumatic strut) and it was listed as used on 911E (only car that had the hydropneumatic strut??). I am confused as to why the second line has the same part number, but says Koni and 72-73.

I know that hydropneumatic a-arms are junk (no way to use torsion bars), but I wonder if it possible that you can remove the guts from the strut, use a Koni insert and with the correct gland nut make a working strut? If so, I wonder if maybe Porsche had some stock left over from the 911E mess and used some of those struts in 72-73 but with Koni inserts???

(Mike, beware that I am making this up as I go and at this point just curious as to why PET lists what it does the way it does. Rich/ArtechnikA is probably right)
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 23 2008, 10:29 PM) *

There are two lines in PET with the same part number. I missed that they had the same number and was focusing on the second one. I had looked at the first and figured "hydropneumatic" because of the weird spring thing, it was Boge (creator of the hydropneumatic strut) and it was listed as used on 911E (only car that had the hydropneumatic strut??). I am confused as to why the second line has the same part number, but says Koni and 72-73.

I know that hydropneumatic a-arms are junk (no way to use torsion bars), but I wonder if it possible that you can remove the guts from the strut, use a Koni insert and with the correct gland nut make a working strut? If so, I wonder if maybe Porsche had some stock left over from the 911E mess and used some of those struts in 72-73 but with Koni inserts???

(Mike, beware that I am making this up as I go and at this point just curious as to why PET lists what it does the way it does. Rich/ArtechnikA is probably right)

well - my PET doesn't have two identical part numbers, so clearly there's -some- confusion ;-)...

a 901.341.084.10 is indeed a right-side '72+ S (3,5" brake saddle..) Koni strut.
(the confusingly similar 901.341.084.01 is the Hydropneumatic.)

Okay - so a .10 is *not* junk as long as you like Koni dampers.

I donno if you could use a hydropneumatic for any other kind of coilover.

I -thought- the HP struts also had 3,5" brake saddles because I thought E's had aluminum calipers (originally) but I'm pretty fuzzy on that. I do believe (perhaps mistakenly, but it's my current belief...) they had S calipers because I recall several sets of them being sold off by 'E' owners who had to somehow finance a new set of A-Arms, torsion bars, and dampers when the OEM HP stuff shat the bed...

But this is another reason why E's typically have no antiroll bars - the HP spring/dampers had a rising rate and therefore progressive antiroll characteristics. One more thing E owners hadda go buy to bring the cars up to the S spec they shouldda bought originally ;-)...

I've attached my PET picture with part numbers - I'd love to see one that shows multiple parts with the same number...
davep
The hydropneumatics generally did all have S calipers and did have 3.5" bolt spacing. I don't think the A caliper and hydropneumatics coincided.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 23 2008, 11:37 PM) *

well - my PET doesn't have two identical part numbers, so clearly there's -some- confusion ;-)...

To paraphrase Dr. Frederick Frankenstein...

Damn my eyes!! biggrin.gif

I had it right the first time and screwed up the second time. The first is "01" (boge) the second is "10" (koni). So no duplicates. My PDF PET is just like yours.

Just as an FYI, I also have a Koni strut, but it is 911 341 042 10 (right) which I "think" is from a '75 car.
MikeSpraggi
So, it looks like we are saying these are the Koni struts and not the Boge? Thanks for all the info. As I was digging through all the "junk" in my garage, I came across 2 Koni front inserts that appear to fit perfectly in the struts. Is there such a thing as being able to have the inserts reconditioned or brought back to new specs? From what I'm seeing, these suckers are $$$ new.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Sep 24 2008, 05:19 AM) *

So, it looks like we are saying these are the Koni struts and not the Boge?

yes.

...I came across 2 Koni front inserts that appear to fit perfectly in the struts. Is there such a thing as being able to have the inserts reconditioned or brought back to new specs?

That's another tip-off, because while both Koni and Bilstein make inserts for Boge struts (other than the HP's, which I believe are unique and not rebuildable...) they don't make inserts for the competing thread pitch. Why do we need 3 different gland nut specs? "Marketing..."

Part of what you get with Koni dampers is that Koni can rebuild them and warrant them (except for the bigtime Koni-killer - running them too low...) pretty much forever. They have reknown customer service in this regard - even the 356 guys with 50-year-old Konis can get them serviced...

Check Koni's (USA) Website for details, centrally located in KY, USA.

Just BTW, my favorite strut is the 911.341.043/4.00 - this is a '72+ (wedge-pin ball joint) Boge (multiple damper insert choices) 3.5" brake saddle (big brake) strut used on 911T Sportomatic Targas (!).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.