Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manifold Pressure Sensor blues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
So I've got this good running '74 2.0 motor that I'd like to swap with the 1.8 in my car. The problem is the MPS (an 043) is shot. It holds no vacuum. From what I've gathered I have 4 options:

1. Find a NOS unit: $$$$ if you can find one.

2. Buy a rebuilt unit that's rebuilt using a different material for the diaphram: I've read that these units (I've been quoted $200-275) don't have the same characteristics as the original and performance suffers.

3. Have mine rebuilt using a good diaphram from another MPS unit: not sure if this is a DIY as I would assume the unit would have to be recalibrated. I know there is a member here that does rebuild them.

4. Buy a used one that holds a vacuum: I've found one for $100. The deal is they want mine as a core.

I'm leaning towards the last option. Whadda ya'll think?

Rand
I agree. Find a deal on a used one. There are some around. When it comes to spending much more $$$ I would rather put it towards a modern FI replacement like SDS.
type47
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 23 2008, 11:57 AM) *

. When it comes to spending much more $$$ I would rather put it towards a modern FI replacement like SDS.

agree.gif get the car on the road so you can at least drive it and start saving for modern digital EFI system
blitZ
I bought a refurbished MPS from Bleyseng, a member here and it has served me well for a few years now. I'm not sure if he offers them anymore. Hopefully, he'll pipe in. I agree going to SDS is a better solution and plan to go that route one day.
Cevan
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 23 2008, 04:15 PM) *

I bought a refurbished MPS from Bleyseng, a member here and it has served me well for a few years now. I'm not sure if he offers them anymore. Hopefully, he'll pipe in. I agree going to SDS is a better solution and plan to go that route one day.

Bleyseng requires a good diaphragm from some other MPS with which to replace your bad one with. So I'd still have to buy a used MPS, and then pay someone to take them apart and put the good diaphragm in my unit.

SDS seems overkill for a stock motor.
Rand

SDS seems overkill for a stock motor.

Just playing devil's advocate to that point... While I would like having a system that would let me build a 2270 when my motor wears out, I was just thinking in terms of cost. Some people have spent enough getting their djet repaired they could have upgraded (or come close). Replacing the MPS buys you time on an old system. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.