Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0 question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NOSLIWW
Just bought my first. Numbers reflect car and engine are 73. It's a 2.0 with dual webers. Engine number is GA0000282. Are the webers a retrofit? Or was it an available option back then?

General consensus? What's better for more power? The dual Webers or with fuel injection?
Demick
All 4 cyl cars came with fuel injection. So the carbs are aftermarket.
Demick
Oh, and...... welcome.png
TravisNeff
retrofitted. all 914's were fuel injected. Well, except for the European 1.8's which came carbs.
TheCabinetmaker
Welcome to the club NOSLIWW

Travis, that was my understanding too till I was corrected by the Cap'n. He said they were all injected.
TravisNeff
nope, the European 1.8's did come with carbs, check a haynes manual and you'll see em'
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 23 2008, 01:17 PM) *

Travis, that was my understanding too till I was corrected by the Cap'n. He said they were all injected.

I don't remember saying that, but I'm old and my brain is feeble. European 1974 1.8s, for sure, had 2 crappy Solex single throat carbs with the idle circuit for both in the right carb. Throttle plates wore out in about 30K miles, accelerator pump jets fell into the intake ports and they were difficult to tune. I dunno if they had 'em in 1975. All USA version 914/4s were equipped with EFI. The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 23 2008, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 23 2008, 01:17 PM) *

I don't remember saying that, but I'm old and my brain is feeble. European 1974 1.8s, for sure, had 2 crappy Solex single throat carbs with the idle circuit for both in the right carb. Throttle plates wore out in about 30K miles, accelerator pump jets fell into the intake ports and they were difficult to tune. I dunno if they had 'em in 1975. All USA version 914/4s were equipped with EFI. The Cap'n

Hell, i'm old too. Maybe I just dreamed it? confused24.gif
dbgriffith75
European 1974 1.8s, for sure, had 2 crappy Solex single throat carbs with the idle circuit for both in the right carb. Throttle plates wore out in about 30K miles, accelerator pump jets fell into the intake ports and they were difficult to tune. I dunno if they had 'em in 1975. All USA version 914/4s were equipped with EFI. The Cap'n

Hmm.... maybe I've had some misconceptions about my motor then... because that's what I've got for carbs on mine- two little single barrel Solex carbs.

So either the carbs came from a euro motor and this one was still converted.... or it was a euro motor that was installed in my teener...

Hmmm....
Root_Werks
Nah, someone just tossed on some little carbs was all. If your car runs great and you don't have a ton of money, just leave it be. If you have money and want to do what most of us do, spend it, put bigger carbs on it or convert back to FI. wink.gif
estwing
QUOTE(NOSLIWW @ Sep 23 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Just bought my first. Numbers reflect car and engine are 73. It's a 2.0 with dual webers. Engine number is GA0000282. Are the webers a retrofit? Or was it an available option back then?

General consensus? What's better for more power? The dual Webers or with fuel injection?

Doesn't this engine number indicate it's a 1970 model?
davep
QUOTE(estwing @ Sep 24 2008, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(NOSLIWW @ Sep 23 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Engine number is GA0000282.

Doesn't this engine number indicate it's a 1970 model?

GA indicates a 2.0, and 0000282 indicates a very early 73
The GA engine was introduced in Aug 1973.
davep
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Sep 24 2008, 09:07 AM) *

Hmm.... maybe I've had some misconceptions about my motor then... because that's what I've got for carbs on mine- two little single barrel Solex carbs.

The engine number will indicate the engine type; AN is the carbed 1.8
http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php
dw914er
motor is 73. No 2.0 4's back in 70 anyways for the 914. All 914-4s were fuel injected cept the euro 1.8's, which were the solex carbs.

Since you have a 2.0 with weber carbs, its been converted.

to your question about which is better, it really depends. The stock fi limits the amount of power you can get out of the car (if you make a bigger type 4 like one of raby's kits, youll want carbs) but the fi typically is going to run better stock. Also, the stock fi in working order will suggest the car was better taken care of.

Me, I like the FI, and havn't had too many issues with it

and welcome to 914world!!!
estwing
Sorry, I thought the fourth digit indicated the year. I'll have to check my Haynes manual again.
NOSLIWW
Thanks to eveyone for their input!
914werke
QUOTE(dw914er @ Sep 24 2008, 08:48 PM) *

to your question about which is better, it really depends. The stock fi limits the amount of power you can get out of the car (if you make a bigger type 4 like one of raby's kits, youll want carbs) but the fi typically is going to run better stock. Also, the stock fi in working order will suggest the car was better taken care of.

Thats debatable.
dw914er
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 26 2008, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Sep 24 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Thats debatable.

true, but I have yet to see a 914 with a beefed up type 4 with the stock fi. If its modified then thats another story.
sww914
What's a Raby?
dw914er
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 27 2008, 02:40 AM) *

What's a Raby?

Serious Steve?
I guess to be more correct, my "raby" I referred to is one of Jake Raby's "massIVe" type 4 motors he sells. I used it as an example of a beefed up type 4. Even your race car has the carbs on it; I havn't seen a high powered type 4 run the stock fi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.