Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: towing 914 on dolly without tranny in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldscamaross
hey just had a quick question. have you guys ever toed a 914 with just a trailer dolly with the drive train gone. did you have any trouble with the rear bearings. can it be towed with the back wheels on the ground.
Mark Henry
It's fine as long as you don't have the axles on it.
cobra94563
I have also towed backward on a dolly (rear wheels up), as well as flat-towed w/o drivetrain.
Cap'n Krusty
Yes, but you MUST have the stub axles installed and tightened properly. Obviously, you can't have the driveshafts attached to the stubs .................

In fact, any time you move a 914 or 911 (or any other car with this type of wheel bearings) with the wheels on the ground, you have to have the stub axle (or a suitable substitute) in the bearing.

The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2008, 08:50 PM) *

if you don't have axles on it, you'll trash the rear bearings pretty quick...

Pull the halfshafts, disassemble the stub axles, put the stubs back in, torque 'em up, drive happy...
JRust
Tow it backwords. Easiest way without screwing with your rear axles. I've towed it this way a few times without any poblem. Just make sure you lock up your steering wheel up with a strap. You've got to make sure it's locked in place somehow.
lotus_65
funny, i have to do the same thing this weekend.

because i have never disassembled the rears i looked at the pelican diagrams. it looks like lots of parts. it's surely as easy as ArtechnikA says, maybe someone has pics?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 23 2008, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2008, 08:50 PM) *

if you don't have axles on it, you'll trash the rear bearings pretty quick...

Pull the halfshafts, disassemble the stub axles, put the stubs back in, torque 'em up, drive happy...

Sorry I did mean the drive axle, might be a tad hard to flat tow a car without stub axles, might be a tad hard to attach your wheels to a car without stub axels

But I guess answers have to be moron proof rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2008, 10:03 PM) *

...might be a tad hard to attach your wheels to a car without stub axels

It's not - tho - the hubs will stay in for a little while...

( FWIW - I knew what you meant, but I felt an expansion was appropriate due to the volume of new owners. The 'experienced guys' can gloss over a few "assumed" steps but the beginners are reading these threads literally... )

responding to the other posts...

Remember the halfshafts turn at wheel speed, which is maybe 1000 rpm. You do not want to see what happens to the undercarriage when a halfshaft goes flailing around at 1000 rpm. I don't think I'd trust bungies to be a bearing.

it -should- be as easy as pull the cotter pin, use an impact wrench and 30mm socket to loosen the big nut, and withdraw from the inside. Sometimes they will get stuck, especially if the PO didn't assemble them with antisieze... put the nut back on inverted (castellations in) to no more than flush with the end of the stub axle shaft, and tap only as much as needed with a brass or bronze hammer to loosen.

Then you can remove the 12-point "triple-square" CV bolts with the halfshaft clamped comfortably between the soft jaws of a vise.
TheCabinetmaker
If ya tow it on a dolly backwards,TIE THE REAR TRUNK DOWN!!!!, and make sure the top is latched good.
orange914
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Sep 23 2008, 06:00 PM) *

I have also towed backward on a dolly (rear wheels up), as well as flat-towed w/o drivetrain.

i wouldn't recomend that, at speed anyway. been there done that. it was a full size bronco but even with the stearing wheel locked down, the front gets real squirely. blink.gif icon8.gif stromberg.gif
boxstr
I have towed 914s ass backwards many times, and they do get squirrley at 75+MPH, but then that is over the posted speed limit and yioui won't break the law now will you??
It will work fine, just make sutre all lids are secure and the steering wheel is locked down.
CCLINTOWMEOUTTOTHEBREAK
jd74914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 23 2008, 09:30 PM) *

If ya tow it on a dolly backwards,TIE THE REAR TRUNK DOWN!!!!, and make sure the top is latched good.

Watch out for loose rear windows too. It would suck to have that then your windshield pop out. sad.gif
ldscamaross
thanks guys. i was going to get the stubs and put them in for the bearings sake but i just wanted a second opinion. thanks
Wes V
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 23 2008, 06:17 PM) *

Yes, but you MUST have the stub axles installed and tightened properly. Obviously, you can't have the driveshafts attached to the stubs .................

In fact, any time you move a 914 or 911 (or any other car with this type of wheel bearings) with the wheels on the ground, you have to have the stub axle (or a suitable substitute) in the bearing.

The Cap'n

aktion035.gif

totally agree on the need!

Wes
iamchappy
Lock steering wheel up and your go to go...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.