Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I have a 2.0 liter from a 1976 that I am rebuilding due to a dropped valve seat. (see my wiring issues post for some background if interested) The first question I have for this post (more to come) is whether or not there is anything special necessary to use the 96mm bore piston/cylinder combo? What would be a good price to pay for a brand new set?
Heeltoe914
500 Bucks pM for contact. KB pistons and AA barrels. simply bolt on Mod,
scoobykvn
There is somebody with an ebay store selling new sets buy it now for $259 and $189 for 94mm bore. They say they are AA performance brand. Anyone know why these seem so cheap?
type47
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ Sep 23 2008, 05:33 PM) *

Anyone know why these seem so cheap?

yes, you get what you pay for......made in china
orange914
buy a good set of used 96 mm pistons. depending on compression buy flat tops or dished. get a set of new rings. have your 94mm o.e. mahle cylinders bored (at a shop using a torque plate). beerchug.gif

mike
scoobykvn
Anybody know of any good shops in central ohio? What can I expect to pay for the used pistons and cylinder work? Is there some good reason not to use the flat top pistons? That is what is currently in mine.
orange914
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ Sep 23 2008, 09:25 PM) *

Is there some good reason not to use the flat top pistons? That is what is currently in mine.

do you have d-jet? you'll need to keep the compression below 8.3:1
scoobykvn
I have dual webers, not sure on the size, it was a PO conversion.
blitZ
I did the same thing when a valve guide broke on my 76. I bought the 96mm P&C kit from Jake (Type IV Store) KB pistons, new cylinders, wrist pins, clips, rings cut to fit and ready to install. Easy bolt on option. I good while your in there option is to replace the stock with a Raby cam for carbs. It will really bring your car to life.

While your heads are being repaired, you might consider a complete rebuild. New seats, guides, valves, springs retainers. These 30 yr old heads have become a weak link in reliability for these cars. So, if you getting the heads repaired have them done right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.