Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellence - 914 Market Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
Well, its that time of year again!
I really like the second sentence in the article..."Any excellent 914-4 is a solid five-figure car, 2.0s are rapidly approaching $20,000, and 914-6s are selling for five times what they did when new...."
Later,
tronporsche
That sounds great for you 2.0 stockers. Can someone show me a few 2.0's that have sold for $20,000 lately ?
Root_Werks
Check eBay sold cars. I bet you find a few.
914rrr
I sold a nice 74 2.0 w/AC for $14,500 ...about 2 years ago! Two buyers were fighting over it.
scottb
QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 24 2008, 01:08 PM) *

I sold a nice 74 2.0 w/AC for $14,500 ...about 2 years ago! Two buyers were fighting over it.

was this on ebay?

if so, it may be time to sell my nice 73 2.0 with new engine, trans, interior and 5 lug conversion....

what i would do after i sold it is beyond me but that is a different post! biggrin.gif
johannes
Look at this and don't forget theese are prices in Euros http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.h...y=&zipcode=
tronporsche
Can you please tell us how much is $5000 Euro compared to American money. Those are what buyers are asking for, not what they are getting !!!!! ........can someone please show us a few pictures of some 914, 2.0s' that have sold for $20,000 American or Euro dollars , lately ????
angerosa
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 24 2008, 04:14 PM) *

Look at this and don't forget theese are prices in Euros http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.h...y=&zipcode=

Um - wow. Most of the last page is over $50K US.
tronporsche
Another thing that I find interesting is, in this economy, someone is willing to spend $20,000 on a stock 914 2.0 ? Wow, I'm glad somebody is gonna get paid !!!!!
tronporsche
QUOTE(angerosa @ Sep 24 2008, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 24 2008, 04:14 PM) *

Um - wow. Most of the last page is over $50K US.
I didn't look at the last page, and I'm not going to, but if a stock 2.0 sells for over $50,000 American dollars in Europe, guess what ? I'm selling my (bleep) !!!!! laugh.gif
scottb
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2008, 09:57 AM) *

how do you look up sold items on ebay? i can't seem to figure it out....

oh, and i will sell my car to the first person from overseas who will pay me the low low price of $30k US$ (cash) for my 1973 2.0L.... what a deal!!!! shipping not included

r_towle
click on "completed listings" in any catagory

Rich
JeffBowlsby
I regularly update a webpage with recent sales, tracking all 914/4s with a public sales record of $12K and over. Click the links where you can see the sale history. Only a few 914/4s have made the $20K club.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/RecentSales.htm

biggrin.gif <--Smiling because I currently own three 914/4s
tronporsche
QUOTE(scottb @ Sep 24 2008, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2008, 09:57 AM) *

how do you look up sold items on ebay? i can't seem to figure it out....

oh, and i will sell my car to the first person from overseas who will pay me the low low price of $30k US$ (cash) for my 1973 2.0L.... what a deal!!!! shipping not included
Sorry Scott, I get first dibbs, but I want a low, low price of JUST $70,000 !!!! (c'mon man , where is your salesmanship skills, when you sell something, you have to use "just" or "only". But you did use Low, Low....which I stole from you laugh.gif )
tronporsche
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 24 2008, 12:51 PM) *

I regularly update a webpage with recent sales, tracking all 914/4s with a public sales record of $12K and over. Click the links where you can see the sale history. Only a few 914/4s have made the $20K club.

Without even looking at those $20,000 cars, I am willing to bet they have hardley any mileage on the original motor, and are original paint, interior, with no damage, and even original tires. Am I correct ?
ConeDodger
When I sold the Bumblebee Racer the dollar was worth just over 2/3 of a Euro and the buyer was in Norway which uses Euro's. I told people then andd I will repeat, Europeans are on a buying spree in America. The guy I sold the BBR to bought a Ferrari 308GTB from another guy in my nieghborhood at the same time and shipped them to New Jersey on the same truck. After he bought the BBR, the dollar dropped to less than 2/3 of a Euro and sat there for months. I would imagine (I have not checked lately) that the Exchange has been volitile of late with the bailout plans both stimulating and retarding markets as the Wall Street Twits react the their stomach acid and intestinal gas...
If you want to sell it now, advertise on European Ebay sites and be sure to say you will cooperate with shippers. This means you will arrange to be there when they show up but not that you will pay for it or drive somewhere to a shipping yard.
scottb
hmmmmmm......

Live rates at 2008.09.24 20:38:17 UTC
1.00 EUR = 1.46165 USD
Euro United States Dollars
1 EUR = 1.46165 USD 1 USD = 0.684158 EUR

most recent rates i could find. if nice 1973 2.0L cars are going for 12-15000 euros, that is $17.5-21.9k. not bad if'n you can get it.

hmmmmm....
jc914
I found this site

http://usedcars.cardomain.com/cars/used-for-sale-Porsche.914

If I can get $18,000.00 for mine its sold
ConeDodger
The inspections are VERY tough in Germany in particular. This means many of the cars we would like to sell will not simply because they cannot drive it...
Maybe SirAndy can speak to the German inspection but I hear rust is a deal-breaker... What 914 doesn't have rust? Hell, if you're quiet you can hear them rust. biggrin.gif
number6
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 24 2008, 01:51 PM) *

One of my old cars made the list @ 15,100 - woohoo! biggrin.gif
1975 2.0 in green.
Had it been a '73 in yellow, white, or some other more desirable color, I think it could've brought 18 (I helped the people who bought it from me sell on eBay earlier this year; I sold it to them for 14.3 the year before).
The Playboy creds may have helped 1-2 thousand - I can't really say. Actually, come to think of it, I think it helped more than that, considering the car had been painted and motor rebuilt.
I bet Scott's 35,000-mile time capsule (saw it in the recent SF bay area lunch thread) easily breaks the 20K mark, and probably the 30K mark as well. But that's an exceptional car, which I assume doesn't really factor into the calculations for the market updates.
smg914
[ biggrin.gif <--Smiling because I currently own three 914/4s
[/quote]Without even looking at those $20,000 cars, I am willing to bet they have hardley any mileage on the original motor, and are original paint, interior, with no damage, and even original tires. Am I correct ?
[/quote]

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!

Very few 914's in this condition exist in the world. So just becaue you have a 914 don't assume you're sitting on a gold mine.
tronporsche
There was a gulf blue 914 a while back in Atlanta, I believe Pat Riley owned it and they said AA was a referral if there were any questions ? Here is a question .....How much did it sell for ? ......Also, Dr. 914, since you are here, I asked one of your salesman, if it was possible to make a rear reflector lens in clear white, with red "Porsche" lettering; as this would go good with the clear Italian rear lenses, then, I would buy the total package !! Is it possible, since you are having the regular style made ( they are now available, as well as the rear italian lenses, rite ? )
carr914
QUOTE(number6 @ Sep 24 2008, 07:09 PM) *

1975 2.0 in green.
The Playboy creds may have helped 1-2 thousand - I can't really say. Actually, come to think of it, I think it helped more than that

Duc, thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif , and I'm not talking about the car. We want pics of the Bunnies

T.C.
nsr-jamie
Nice 914's in Japan here go for well over 20,000 dollars, I saw a beautiful 73 2.0 restored and they were asking 33,000 dollars and I believe it sold too. I expect the price of our cars to keep going up and up for nice examples.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 24 2008, 10:53 PM) *

There was a gulf blue 914 a while back in Atlanta, I believe Pat Riley owned it and they said AA was a referral if there were any questions ? Here is a question .....How much did it sell for ? ......Also, Dr. 914, since you are here, I asked one of your salesman, if it was possible to make a rear reflector lens in clear white, with red "Porsche" lettering; as this would go good with the clear Italian rear lenses, then, I would buy the total package !! Is it possible, since you are having the regular style made ( they are now available, as well as the rear italian lenses, rite ? )

I have not heard about Pats car but it was an extremely nice conversion pseudo race car. He was asking 19,000. The rear update can be made in clear yes.
914Sixer
Well if the stock 2.0 are going for that much, it will only make the Creamsicles and Bumblebees climb even higher. Cremsickle on Ebay with buy it now for $17.5K.
Scott S
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 24 2008, 09:53 PM) *

ummm.... there is no rear Italian lens - they used the standard Euro (yello turn, red brake, clear reverse). The only other lense besides this and the US lense is the French lens (yellow, red yellow - see pic). They come up for sale now and then - the last pair I saw went for 750.00 for both.

Any clear rear is aftermarket. There was a guy who was a member who was making them in pretty much any configuration, but they used visible bolts that went all the way through the lense.
TJB/914
I received my EXCELLENCE today & it's a good read. pray.gif My favorite magazine. smilie_pokal.gif

I believe the price tend is up for all 914's & wonder what the market will look like in 5-10 years??

Tom
ConeDodger
QUOTE(number6 @ Sep 24 2008, 03:09 PM) *

1975 2.0 in green.
Had it been a '73 in yellow, white, or some other more desirable color, I think it could've brought 18 (I helped the people who bought it from me sell on eBay earlier this year; I sold it to them for 14.3 the year before).
The Playboy creds may have helped 1-2 thousand - I can't really say. Actually, come to think of it, I think it helped more than that, considering the car had been painted and motor rebuilt.
I bet Scott's 35,000-mile time capsule (saw it in the recent SF bay area lunch thread) easily breaks the 20K mark, and probably the 30K mark as well. But that's an exceptional car, which I assume doesn't really factor into the calculations for the market updates.

Is Scott selling that beauty????????????????????? He paid me a $1000 for the heat exchangers alone! Nicest 914 4 I have EVER seen. Paul's 3.6 wins overall for appeal though. There is something about being able to hit the hyperspace button that is dead sexy in my book...
Racer
I'm sure 2-3 months ago when the article was being compiled and written those values were fair.

Games over now. US economy and the world economy is in the shitter right now. Not many folks (certainly in the US) spending big money on "toys" like 3rd, 4th 5th cars.

Europeans, perhaps, if only because their currency is still strong. Conbined with a large number of "yuppies" affluent enough to go look for the car of their youth. 914s included.

Where I am at, a "new" 914 was a $5K proposition in the early 1970s. 30 years later they are a $15K proposition. Adjusted for inflation, this might still be "5K" wink.gif Gas was $.30 and now its $4. A $20K home is now $200-500K depending on where you live. A $5k 914 in todays world would be a $50K car (hmm.. just like a new Boxster). So while on paper it looks like a big number, think in today's dollars.

And these high prices are for the 1% or less that are still "factory original".

Nothing more fun to read than classified that say "all original" followed by rebuilt motor, repaint etc.. blah blah. They are only original once.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 25 2008, 06:13 PM) *

I'm sure 2-3 months ago when the article was being compiled and written those values were fair.

Games over now. US economy and the world economy is in the shitter right now. Not many folks (certainly in the US) spending big money on "toys" like 3rd, 4th 5th cars.

Europeans, perhaps, if only because their currency is still strong. Conbined with a large number of "yuppies" affluent enough to go look for the car of their youth. 914s included.

Where I am at, a "new" 914 was a $5K proposition in the early 1970s. 30 years later they are a $15K proposition. Adjusted for inflation, this might still be "5K" wink.gif Gas was $.30 and now its $4. A $20K home is now $200-500K depending on where you live. A $5k 914 in todays world would be a $50K car (hmm.. just like a new Boxster). So while on paper it looks like a big number, think in today's dollars.

And these high prices are for the 1% or less that are still "factory original".

Nothing more fun to read than classified that say "all original" followed by rebuilt motor, repaint etc.. blah blah. They are only original once.

I disagree that a car with a motor rebuilt to original specs or repainted in it's original color is not original. I agree with the implied statement that a preservation car, meaning a car in original unrestored condition might be more valuable.
tronporsche
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Sep 25 2008, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 24 2008, 09:53 PM) *

ummm.... there is no rear Italian lens - they used the standard Euro (yello turn, red brake, clear reverse). The only other lense besides this and the US lense is the French lens (yellow, red yellow - see pic). They come up for sale now and then - the last pair I saw went for 750.00 for both.

Any clear rear is aftermarket. There was a guy who was a member who was making them in pretty much any configuration, but they used visible bolts that went all the way through the lense.
Here is what Automobile Atlanta calls "Italian clear lenses", for the front, and they say they have the same for the rear. Whether they are really from Italy or not doesn't make a difference in car performance, they are for looks! AA just had a sale , any pair for $250, and I got a call saying they "would be ready any day now". Whether or not it happened, I don't know.
Scott S
the clear fronts are what the italian cars came with. If AA is selling all clear rears, they are a product of AA - not Porsche.
jesiv
QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 24 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Well of course A/C in the South!
Eric_Shea
Last I knew, my old 6 was for sale in the UK for around $50k US.

Wonder what the early 911's are fetch'n?
914werke
Still no inclusion of LE's WTF.gif
Dominic
Would someone be kind enough to post the numbers (especially for the 914-6 and 2.0L), I just got to Japan and have not recieved my excellence yet.
Thanks for the help!

Dominic
RoadGlue
Can someone do me a huge favor and scan the page that shows the '74 1.7/2.0 values? I have to bring my car to the insurance adjuster (see my "My neighbor backed into my 914" thread) on Tuesday and I'd love to have these values. The news stands are still carrying the Oct edition (duh).

You'd make my day and then some!
dw914er
italian cars only had clear fronts, the rears were the standard euro amber/red/white lights.

I sure do love those french lights.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.