Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got My Group Buy Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
They showed up today. piratenanner.gif

The question I have is are they all somewhat wavy on the top? I know the stock flares are more twisted than the ending of "The Crying Game" but I was hoping they wouldn't require a dolly block right out of the gate. It looks like the FedEx guys were a little rough on the rears. I'll have a little extra bodywork involved in the install.

jmill
another
scotty b
doesn't llok centerd to me. Move the rear up some and the whole,thing forward a bit. Mine fit surprisingly well
jmill
The tape slipped some. Your right Scotty they fit real well besides the passenger rear which needs a bit of massaging. I was talking more about the waves where the metal needed to shrink. All in all I'm happy. I can beat it to fit and paint to match. smash.gif
plymouth37
Mine were a little wavy on top, not as bad as yours but definitely there. With as far as that metal on the top is streched in the stamping process I am suprised it's not worse.
angerosa
Can't wait for mine!
Root_Werks
The slight wavy around the edges is normal for the production process used. We should consider ourselves lucky to have repo METAL flares to buy. These go on like butter. I've done a few sets now and love them.
Wes V
Judging from what I got in last years group buy, that's pretty typical of the AA flares.

They do require "work".

It suprises me that some people play it down and all I can assume is that the quality has varied over the years. Of course, I can't verify that statement.

That said, I would sure buy them again (for the group buy price).

Here is a link to my "flare diary"

flare diary index page

Wes Vann
jmill
I'd like to see is if the others in the group buy have waves similar to mine. When you guys get them please post some pics. From the looks of things I think mine are worse than most. If they are all like this I wont make an issue of it. If not, getting a new set would save me hours of unnecessary work.
WRX914
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 24 2008, 12:17 PM) *

I'd like to see is if the others in the group buy have waves similar to mine. When you guys get them please post some pics. From the looks of things I think mine are worse than most. If they are all like this I wont make an issue of it. If not, getting a new set would save me hours of unnecessary work.

Mine were wavy as well. When Dana installed mine, he tacked them on then cut with a grinder all the way through the wavy portion and the cars fender. Once that was done he butt welded the flare to the car.
monkeyboy
I was at AA yesterday. In ATL for work I stopped by. They gave me the grand tour of the place, and I did see some of the flairs in the warehouse. They didn't look wavy at all.

I would assume there is going to be some work to get them to fit right. Those kinds of things always are some work.
McMark
All the ones I have seen are wavy. It's the production process. agree.gif I'm just glad they're available. If I have to work them a bit of use a bit of filler, so be it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 23 2008, 07:00 PM) *

another

looks like someone roughed them up. Maybe their name was FED EX
ConeDodger
We are talking about an exact laser assisted copy of 30+ year old parts that was corrected as even the originals were not the same left to right... Add this to the fact that our 914's have suffered any number of sins over 30+ years and you have a bit of a challenged fit. Believe me, it is much better than fiberglass...
You still have to hire or be a talented body guy to install these correctly.
carr914
QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 23 2008, 09:56 PM) *

They showed up today. piratenanner.gif

The question I have is are they all somewhat wavy on the top? I know the stock flares are more twisted than the ending of "The Crying Game" but I was hoping they wouldn't require a dolly block right out of the gate. It looks like the FedEx guys were a little rough on the rears. I'll have a little extra bodywork involved in the install.

Dude, you've got bigger problems than the flares being wavy - the rest of your car is missing blink.gif

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.