Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fog light > driving light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
just to have a record on this board, i am in the process of installing driving lights where the fog lights go. i got some well-prepared grills from korjo. the lights mentioned in the attachment, made by Pilot, are indeed available from Auto Zone. About $45. I had the brackets made at a local shop. I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/lights.html
Bleyseng
Yeah, I ordered a set from Autozone too. They will go in later today. Craig said they fit in the orginal brackets if you have those.

Geoff
jfort
ran out off time sunday. didn't realize i need to take off the front bumper. but the lights and the grills look nice. looks like you need the manufactured bracket so that the lights are out far enough. i used the Pilot bracket to mount the Pilot lights to the manufactured brackets
914ghost
I got Pilots too:
I mounted them as far out of the grills as I could- which makes mine a paint to aim right, but its close.
Dirty Car.
Bob O
jfort
did you have to take off the valence, too? where are the fasteners for that?
Porsche Rescue
Jeff,
I do not think you need to remove the valance to install lights. However, it is attached by 4 (?) screws accessible from inside the spare tire well in the trunk. Also there is a small nut/bolt (or maybe a sheet metal screw) at each end which you get from the fenderwell.
415PB
To the guys who have ordered the Pilot driving lights at Autozone, can you get me the part number off the box. Autozone told me today that they dont have the PL-193C and can't get them.

Thanks
Demick
QUOTE(415PB @ Feb 10 2004, 03:22 PM)
To the guys who have ordered the Pilot driving lights at Autozone, can you get me the part number off the box. Autozone told me today that they dont have the PL-193C and can't get them.

Thanks

If you can't get them from autozone, you can order them from here:

http://store.racerwheel.org/lighting-auxil...-pro-truck.html

Just scroll down until you get to the pl-193c. They are $35. So with shipping they should be about the same as autozone.

Demick
fiid
Their ground shipping rate is $18.68. Worse than bloody ebay.
914ghost
I got them from Ultimate Auto Accesories.com
They were $10 more, but shipping was $13 cheaper.
I'd rather pay a higher legitimate price than outrageous shipping.
PL-193c
And they got here in 3 days I think.
larryp
Does anybody make driving light lenses to replace the fog light lenses on the stock lights? I have already installed H3 bulbs and new seals, and my reflectors are in good shape.
Porsche Rescue
I think there were driving light lenses available from Porsche. Maybe only outside US but there was a choice of driving or fog. I have seen two different white lenses for stock lights. In fact I may have some on one of my cars, not sure. Can post a pic if you like.
jfort
Does anyone know where I can buy a fog lamp switch. I see in Pelican Parts that they are not availabie. I'd like to use that switch for the driving lights so that i matches the headlamp switch.
Bleyseng
I have a extra green fog lite switch laying around.
For Autozone to order the pilots they have to go into the Pilot catalog to look them up. Took awhile for the idiots to do it for me but they figured it out. Its not in the effin computer.

Geoff
415PB
Thanks Geoff, I'll tell the autozone guys to look in the freakin pilot book.
jfort
let me try this again. i need the green fog light switch. does anyone have one that they are willing to sell? my regular email is jeffreyfort@mac.com. THANKS!
Gint
Hey Jeff,

Geoff said he had a green fog light switch available. Did you not see his reply?

Hey Geoff.

If Jeff doesn't want your switch, I'll take it. I found out after stripping my car that it is in fact wired for fogs. Somebody took them all out. I think when it goes back together, I'll install something like these Pilots.
boxstr
Good morning one and all. For those of you installing Pilot lights, you can mount them using the stock original fog light brackets.
You need to enlarge the holes in the mounting bracket that is already on the Pilot light. Then you can use the stock mounting allen bolt, that means you do not have to remove the front bumper or lower front valance.
Sorry I don't have any pics, I will take some next time I install Pilot lights on one of the cars.
Also for those of you wondering, Porsche did make a clear driving light for the 914.
Check this ebay auction for a set. I had a set in my hand at LA swap meet and asked the seller how much, $550, thanks I set them back down on the table.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2458950890

Also I have a foglight switch for the 914. Let me know if interested.
CCLINLETTHEREBELIGHT
Gint
One of you guys (Geoff or Craig) sell me a switch would ya?

Craig,

What happened to you at Dunkel's?
jfort
I bought some Allen-type bolts hoping that I wouldn't need to remove the bumper and valence as BOXSTR suggested. Still can't get the round-end Allen key to work. I guess I'll have to remove the bumper and valence after all. Worse, someone out bid me on eBay for the fog lamp switch. Does anyone have one that I could buy?
72914S
Anyone know where I can find the round yellow lenses for stock lites?
72914S
I think yellow fogs would finish the look.
jfort
got the Pilot driving lights installed, finally. did it without removing the bumper or valence. I started a hex (allen) bolt and then slid the mounting bracket (with the bottom cut out) over the bolt. then i was able to tighten it with a balled-end allen wrench. got a fog light switch. now just need to do the wiring. my goal is to have headlights down on the first switch stop. i also want to be able to "flash" the driving lights with the turn signal arm. also installed Hella 7" H4's. that should do it.
KaptKaos
I am in the process of doing the same thing, but I found stock lights at the various swap meets (2x at Pomona). I ahve brackets and new seals too.

I need a switch too. Found one that was similar, looks like the rear defrost switch, but it has a long neck and I doubt it will fit.

I believe the car is prewired for the lights, but not sure as I have not looked under the dash yet. I will be checking in a few days.

Does anyone know where the relay for the fog lights is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Jeffs9146
I have one without the chrome ring if you are interested! PM me!

Jeff
TimT
I think the early 911 fog light switch is the same, Ill yank it from my 911 if one of you guys needs it

I wanna make my 911 as light as URY's car laugh.gif
415PB
I read through Demicks upgrade and installed the Pilot lights. I used his template for the bracket and made my own brackets. It came out pretty good. The brackets brought the light forward some to almost sit flush with the rear of the foglight grill.
Bleyseng
Looks great! I have a set of pilots but haven't made the brackets yet. Dude, ya gotta get some wider tire than those 165's. Yikes!

Geoff
415PB
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 16 2004, 07:09 AM)
Looks great! I have a set of pilots but haven't made the brackets yet. Dude, ya gotta get some wider tire than those 165's. Yikes!

Geoff

laugh.gif Geoff, I am going to do a five lug conversion, flares and repaint. I will be selling these fuchs to help fund the others, so yes I will be getting rid of the 165's, for some reason the PO liked the 165's.
jfort
finally got all the lights the way I want them. Head light switch re-wired so that lamps stay down till the second stop. Amber lights and tail lights come on at the first stop. The Pilot driving lights are wired in using the fog lamp switch and fuse.
dinomium
If anybody still needs switches, email or PM me. I have many of each...
Gint
Head light switch re-wired so that lamps stay down till the second stop.

I know we've discussed this before. How'd you do it? What year is your car anyway (I don't recall, I do remember it's a conversion car right)? I ask because the early cars are different than the later models in this regard.
Porsche Rescue
Jeff's car is a '70 factory six. I know it well. Used to be in my garage. Hope I'm not offending by speaking for him.
Gint
That's right! My memory sux.

So the question stands Jeff. How'd you get the headlight switch wired?
dinomium
I stumbled on the link for the fog version from Autozone...
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?...7EPIL%7C%7Etrue
red914
hey dino! do we really want the lights with the blue LED ring around the light? wacko.gif maybe something simpler?

BTW, i really liked the picture of your side scoop. not that i want one, however...
jfort
Gint,

Actually, I gathered up the information contained in the attachment and a friend of mine rewired the switch using these instructions. I am not sure exactly what he did, but I assume the instructions were enough for him. I hope they work for you. If you rewire the switch, please post what you did.
Gint
I saw that thread. Thanks for posting the info. What version of Word was that file saved as? I'm having some trouble with part of the file here at work. But that's no surprise.
Gint
OK, it looks like that doc is a Word 8. Can you do me a favor? I don't have that late a version of Word anywhere. Can you save it and re-attach the file as an older version of Word?
4WheelDrifter
Dino, the light in the link you posted might be too small. The 193 is 4.5" and the 362 is 4".
Rusty
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 16 2004, 10:01 AM)
OK, it looks like that doc is a Word 8. Can you do me a favor? I don't have that late a version of Word anywhere. Can you save it and re-attach the file as an older version of Word?

Mike,

I can't download that file. If you send it to me, I'll upload it again in a earlier version of Word (or maybe a text file).

Then, we can move this thread over to Classics. It's a good one.

-Rusty smoke.gif
dinomium
Sorry, that link was for the fog version. I dont see the correct light on the AutoZone website. I believe that is why Geoff is saying LOOK IN THE BOOK!

And I am glad you liked the scoop, Shane. It is not hooked up to anything just a hole in the fender!
Gint
I can't download that file. If you send it to me, I'll upload it again in a earlier version of Word (or maybe a text file).

Done.
Rusty
I couldn't open that file either. I don't know what the heck it is.
jfort
info as a "text only" file
Rusty
Cool! Thank you! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.