Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 front bumper lisence plate mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tronporsche
I thought this would be shown in a new thread, so anyone with a 916 front end might not miss out on it, conversion or not. In Euro, it is no problem, as they have the slimmer plates, but here our plates are taller. Some have chosen not to use the plates in front , that is your paroggative. I didn't have one either, until I got pulled over by the police for it. These pictures are also helpful in the way that you can see how by using this bracket, how much of the radiator air hole is covered up , in case you have a conversion. The bracked came from the Nissan dealership, what car is uncertain (Altima, maybe ?). But it has two slanted bubbles in the back, that allow for a rivet to go through the bumper after the holes have been drilled. It sits nice and flush, and is sturdy. The entire back of the plate is supported by it. It mounts rite on to the bottom "lip" of the 916 bumper. The bracket was $40 dollars. Hope this helps. biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
Hey Tron, did you always have that hood scoop on there? I can't remember seeing that before....

I don't have a 916 bumper, just the stock one and I too had to make a license plate mount cause the Japanese plates here are much larger than the ones from back home and the pitch of the holes is wider too....I came up with this...I made it from some alluminum scrap at work, bent it up in a brake press (forgot the English) than rounded the corners and deburred it and than using this kind of rivet like tool (don't know the name in English) attached the mount to the bumper and it has 8 mm taps in their for the bolts to hold the plate on...costed me nothing and took about half an hour to make and another half an hour to attach. Heres a picture.

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
English: "Sheet Metal Brake" -- used to bend pieces of sheet metal.

I bet the rivet thing is similar to a "rivnut", which is probably a brand name.

--DD
Phoenix-MN
Move to Minnesota, you can apply for a single, rear plate display only.

poke.gif

No need for a front plate on cars '72 and older

aktion035.gif
Scott S
The law in Colorado is that the car must have two plates, front and rear, permanately attached. Being that it does not say where, my rear plate is in a lighted frame in the back window and my front plate is in the front window - held to the glass with those suction cups with hooks.
I used to get several tickets in my gray market GTI for running the front oval that it came with. I never get any greif in the Porsche and it is not only far more obnoxious, but its also runing a euro plate in the stock lit location. I refuse to drill my front bumper. I am not a fan of the 916 bumpers. Unfortunately I am stuck with them for now. Adding a front plate even makes them look more like a fake body kit was installed on the car. Not my scene.
I would call the local/state cops and see what they will accept before drilling anything.
tronporsche
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Sep 24 2008, 08:58 AM) *

The law in Colorado is that the car must have two plates, front and rear, permanately attached. Being that it does not say where, my rear plate is in a lighted frame in the back window and my front plate is in the front window - held to the glass with those suction cups with hooks.
I used to get several tickets in my gray market GTI for running the front oval that it came with. I never get any greif in the Porsche and it is not only far more obnoxious, but its also runing a euro plate in the stock lit location. I refuse to drill my front bumper. I am not a fan of the 916 bumpers. Unfortunately I am stuck with them for now. Adding a front plate even makes them look more like a fake body kit was installed on the car. Not my scene.
I would call the local/state cops and see what they will accept before drilling anything.
I would rather not drill the front bumper either, and I think the plates take away from the look of the front bumper, but I have no choice, I called the highway patrol , and they said the plates MUST be ATTACHED to the front and back bumper.......ALS0..........I found out that the four fog lights that I have are illegal, they can not be on at the same time, only two at a time.

To tell you the truth, I am surprised the custom paint job on a car is not illegal out here in California. - Oh wait - Jay Leno has custom paint on some of his cars, "we better leave that law alone. But as soon as he gets rid of them , we'll change it and that smog law back that is not making us EXTRA MONEY."

Jamie, nice bracket. I put the cowel scoop on a few months ago, works great !
JRust
I'm in Oregon & am not worried about the front plate at all. I'll keep it in my window as a backup. Each state is a little different dry.gif
Chuck
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Sep 24 2008, 08:20 AM) *

Move to Minnesota, you can apply for a single, rear plate display only.

poke.gif

No need for a front plate on cars '72 and older

aktion035.gif

I keep waiting for them to change it (add a year or two) as mine is a '73. I ended up getting a collector plate for it instead so that I could get away with only having a rear.
DBCooper
Early 427 Cobra trick was to have a spring loaded front license plate in the front inlet. At rest the plate would show, at speed it would lean back flat and disappear.
JRust
Hey Tron I just had a though (Scary as hell I know). I wonder if you could get away with using vinyl letters in the same style as your license plate. Maybe make a a white background like your current plate. I didn't see any tags on your plate. Even if you have them they could sit on the white background anyway. What do you guys think? I would think the cops would be okay with it confused24.gif They would be able to see your numbers just like if the real plate was there. Yet you could keep it out of the way of your inlet for the radiator. Looks like on the 916 bumper it could sit right above your opening idea.gif
Zundfolge
Tron, you did a good job mounting the plate ... still makes the car look buck toothed, but the law is the law sad.gif

I've given it a lot of thought and if I'm forced to put the front plate on at some point, my 916 front bumper is uncut, so I'll just cut out for the grill and then mount the tag behind the bumper with only the number and state showing.
tronporsche
Zundfoge, that is a good idea !!...............JRust, the vynl lettering is a great idea !! I don't think they will except it, but it is worth a call tommorow ! Oh , and you may have just saved me another siren pull over by bringing my no tags to my attention !! I can't recall if I ever put them on that plate or not, because at first I had it in the windshield, and then not at all, til I got pulled over. Either way, I just went to look for them , and I can't find them, so I have to go to the DMV and wait in line all day.
plymouth37
Nice job on mounting your plate.
I don't have a front plate on any of my three cars, I have been pulled over a couple times but never got a ticket. The law is the law but I choose to ignore it smile.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 24 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Nice job on mounting your plate.
I don't have a front plate on any of my three cars, I have been pulled over a couple times but never got a ticket. The law is the law but I choose to ignore it smile.gif
Sometimes, it is easier to just go with the flow, rather than fight it or ignore it poke.gif . Just make DOUBLE sure you dont have a beer3.gif after dinner or anything like that, because if you get a DUI and get your car impounded , for a simple violation that caught the polices attention, YOU WILL shoot yourself in the foot !!!! I would really consider it , especially if you like to have a drink every now and then , and then cruise the 9.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 25 2008, 01:11 AM) *

English: "Sheet Metal Brake" -- used to bend pieces of sheet metal.

I bet the rivet thing is similar to a "rivnut", which is probably a brand name.

--DD

Thanks Dave, I have been here in Japan so long its almost embarrasing how much English I have forgotten. I want to be relocated to the US. cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.