Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar - Drop Links
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Do the front sway bar drop links ('74) have a top and bottom or doesn't it matter which way they are installed? My links seem to have a very slight curve at one end (not perfectly straight) that might be from wear, or is it the way they're made?

Paul
914Sixer
They should be straight.
hwgunner
Yes they should be straight. beerchug.gif
roadster fan
Umm, the drop links that came off my 73 have a slight angle in each on one end. I think it is so they don't bind. I will try to get a pic of what I am talking about.

Jim
AvalonFal
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 24 2008, 06:54 PM) *

Umm, the drop links that came off my 73 have a slight angle in each on one end. I think it is so they don't bind. I will try to get a pic of what I am talking about.

Jim

Jim, that's the same as on my '74. Is the angle at the link top or bottom when installed? Or do we both have bent links??

Paul
Eric_Shea
I also thought the rod came out of the cylindrical end (that holds the bushing) at an angle of some sorts. Not "perfectly" straight.

I'm away from the car right now but I could check later.

The theory (if I recall) is the drop link angles slightly away from the body down to the attachment on the a-arm.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 25 2008, 04:24 PM) *

I also thought the rod came out of the cylindrical end (that holds the bushing) at an angle of some sorts. Not "perfectly" straight.

I'm away from the car right now but I could check later.

The theory (if I recall) is the drop link angles slightly away from the body down to the attachment on the a-arm.

So the angled end of the link is at the top??

Paul
Joe Ricard
If you put spherical berings on each end the angle will take care of it's self with no bind.

roadster fan
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Sep 25 2008, 06:37 AM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 24 2008, 06:54 PM) *

Jim

Jim, that's the same as on my '74. Is the angle at the link top or bottom when installed? Or do we both have bent links??

Paul

Top I think. It makes sense on the stock setup based on the way the u-bracket on the a-arm is fixed.

Joe makes a good point about the spherical bearing setup the racers use. I am gonna upgrade mine I think instead of installing the stock. Then you can adjust for preload.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.