Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie looking for vehicle selection help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjku79
I am new to the 914 world. I just got done finishing my 356 replica (someone else started and didn't finish). Now I am looking for something I can drive around on a some what daily basis and get good mpg. I don't really have much background on the 914s. I just know it is one that I can actually afford to start with.

I am looking for a list of things to consider when looking for a car to buy. What areas are know to rust? Things that might break. Etc....

Also, if any of you know of good deals on car in the San Antonio area let me know. I noticed at least one posting in the classifieds for a car in near me (San Antonio, TX). I have also seen a few on craigslist.

Thanks
Pete
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(pjku79 @ Sep 24 2008, 10:41 AM) *

I am new to the 914 world. I just got done finishing my 356 replica (someone else started and didn't finish). Now I am looking for something I can drive around on a some what daily basis and get good mpg. I don't really have much background on the 914s. I just know it is one that I can actually afford to start with.

I am looking for a list of things to consider when looking for a car to buy. What areas are know to rust? Things that might break. Etc....

Also, if any of you know of good deals on car in the San Antonio area let me know. I noticed at least one posting in the classifieds for a car in near me (San Antonio, TX). I have also seen a few on craigslist.

Thanks
Pete

Pete,

You are seriously welcomed to this group! welcome.png

To pick a 914 as a daily driver, given its minimal 33 year age, MAY be a challenge. I say MAY because things continually find a way to go south on any car this age.

If you really want to do thid, I'd advise finding a solid (background established) 914. Yep. it can have some boogers in the paint, but you should look for a 914 with minimal/no chassis rust. They're still out there, but rare.

Given your background, you should be able to take care of mechanical "things". These are the least expensive things to correct.

Or, you could go for a restored or preserved 914, on a turnkey basis. You'll spend some bucks, but less than a contemporary new Chvy/Ford.

Good luck to you. We're always here to help.
Pat
pjku79
Thanks for the input Pat. Anyone else out there want to chime in?
SGB
Yep, search on "hell hole" or just "hell".

My car is a 75% daily driver. 15+ years. I DO have alternate transportation for Alabama's 9 days of winter, or the times the 914 develops a compelling requirement. But even brand new cars sometimes just don't go, too. Its a fine DD unless you are in the frozen north.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.