Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $%^&@&*! frickn mouse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Uncovered my 914 after it had been sitting for about a month. Looks like a mouse got in the car and died somewhere in the dash. Once I find it any tips on how I can get the smell out of the car? sad.gif

I live out in the mountains with no garage currently. Any ideas on rodent control? I cant put my cat outside becuase we have coyote problems (ie cats dont last long outside) I have a dog so I'm hesitant to put out rodent poison - maybe I need to put traps around the car. This is very distressing as its only a matter of time before these critters find their way to my Boxster.

I wont have garage until late fall. Any ideas you have are appreciated.
Bleyseng
Install a mouse trap in the car!
seanery
mothballs work wonders for all kinds of critters. (keeping them out, not getting rid of the smell)
banderson
Bounce boldblue.gif No, I mean fabric softener sheets, stuffed into the vents.

I have never used it but heard it works.

When we sold my wifes BMW 2002 this summer, which had been sitting for quite a while, I told the new owner to drive with the window open and whatever you do, DO NOT run the blower. It was really bad.
morph
Wire a little piece of jerky to a mouse trap.
L8Apex
you and brad have something in common

IPB Image

courtesy of Britain Smith
grantsfo
I'm in trouble if my rodent is that big. This is very depressing - I see all sorts of vintage german labels in sheads on the floor. looks like this guy had a field day. Doesnt look like any wiring damage. I had to go to work today so I wont be able to extract the dead rodent until Saturday - hey sounds like a fun Saturday project!
GWN7
Get a bag of Kingsford BBQ. It's charcoal and will absorb the smell. Open the bag up and spread on a plastic sheet. Shut the doors and windows. To keep them out put mothballs in and around the car.
Joe Ricard
The best mouse trap is the pan of super sticky goo. Had a rat in the house driving us crazy for days. Damn thing would not take poison or mess with snap traps. 45 minutes anfter the lights went out the little sucker was stuck.

Smell should go way with a good cleaning and fabreeze. BBQ charcoal will leave noxious fumes. wacko.gif However fish tank or water purification charcoal will work. beer.gif
GWN7
Joe...don't use the instant light kind. It is soaked with starting fluid in the bag. The regular kind works, no smell.
maf914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Feb 6 2004, 09:11 AM)
BBQ charcoal will leave noxious fumes.

I don't think you're supposed to light it! laugh.gif

Mike
grantsfo
At this point I think I may just have a little bbq - I was choking the smell was so bad. Thanks for the tips. I just hope I can find where it died.
tat2dphreak
steel wool in the vents will help keep it out.... you shouldn't have left that sandwish in the glove compartment! wink.gif
sj914
Try Ozium, it's supposed to kill off biological germs and odors. you can get those at most any FLAPS.
maf914
How did the mouse get into the car? Were your heater ducts left open? I hope he's not inside the duct in the longs. I won't think a mouse could squeeze thru the heater valve openings, but maybe.

I once had a mouse problem in my garage when renting a house. Those things apparently piss in their nesting area which creates one nasty smell. Plus, the resulting residue, probably acidic, will corrode metal. Nasty little animals.

Mike
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(sj914 @ Feb 6 2004, 03:21 PM)
Try Ozium, it's supposed to kill off biological germs and odors. you can get those at most any FLAPS.

also gets the weed smell out!! you can get it at head shops too!
smoke.gif
dgw
I could never keep the mice and rats out of the 914's I had to park outside. One even built a nest in the engine compartment of a jeep I had, and we drove it at least 2-3 times a week. I also was lucky they never ate the wireing. I left a cotton car cover in one, they ate a hole right through multiple layers of cotton. Built a nest in the glove box. Also had one build a nest in the front trunk under the board.
One day I started one of them and looked out the windshield to see a very dazed and confused rat in the middle of the driveway. He must have been somewhere near the engine.

Gary remembers, he took one of the rat/mice home when he bought yellow zonker.
dance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.