Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod Tube Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Welp....I changed out my pushrod tube seals about 6 weeks ago and completely forgot to put the tin on before I put the tubes back in (engine is on a stand). chair.gif Can I pull the tubes back off and reuse the seals if they're not nicked or cut up?

Kev flag.gif
SGB
Oh yeah, no problem. My last dissassembly I pulled back apart most of it and there are no push rod tube seal leaks. Now, the oil cooler leaks, well, those won't go away- just to keep the oil from getting old in there.
gs11x
Has anyone tried to replace push rod seals with the enginge in the car? Looks like it could be possible or do I need to stop being lazy and drop the engine?

I also learned tonight that the exhaust in a 914 is a lot heavier than it appears. that last tap with the rubber mallet landed in my lap, glad it was not my head.
LowGT
Several have replaced the push rod tube seals with the engine in the car. I don't think you can totally remove the tubes, but you can pull it out enough to replace the seals.

I personally would pull the engine, I don't enjoy working in tight spaces like that.
r_towle
QUOTE(LowGT @ Oct 6 2008, 11:24 PM) *

Several have replaced the push rod tube seals with the engine in the car. I don't think you can totally remove the tubes, but you can pull it out enough to replace the seals.

I personally would pull the engine, I don't enjoy working in tight spaces like that.

I find it easier to replace the push rod tube seals in the car.
So long as you dont have a 75/76 with stock HE's...those suck.

Pull of the valve cover
Pull of the rocker assembly
Pull push rod spring
Leave push rods in car (cant get them all out anyways)
Pull push rod tubes...they wont come all the way out.
replace seals
re-assemble.

If you pull the motor, then you need to get it up in the air hihg enough to pull the pushrod tubs out.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.