Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hella H-4's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So I took off my 7" h-4's last night and noticed that there is a film on the inside of the lens.

Who has any GOOD idea how to clean these blink.gif
Joe Bob
Denatured alcohol.....slosh it around inside....let air dry.
Joe Ricard
Grain alochol then I can suck it out with a straw mueba.gif Thanks mike it popped into my head I will try your method tonight.
jfort
is that the recommended upgrade for the head lamps, 7" Hella H4's? do they go right in? is the stock wiring OK?
Joe Bob
Yup....I have an extra set that I didn't use....new in box. $80.00
JWest
QUOTE(jfort @ Feb 6 2004, 12:43 PM)
is that the recommended upgrade for the head lamps, 7" Hella H4's? do they go right in? is the stock wiring OK?

You want the Euro style Hellas, NOT the DOT legal version.
fiid
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 6 2004, 10:49 AM)
Yup....I have an extra set that I didn't use....new in box. $80.00

are they the euro style ones?
Joe Ricard
Yup Euro. nice flat line at top of lite pattern. Pulled off my 928. I REALLY need 8" ones for the big car.
Yes the 7" fit right in and plug in standard connector
Joe Bob
QUOTE(fiid @ Feb 6 2004, 10:54 AM)
Yup....I have an extra set that I didn't use....new in box.  $80.00

Yuppers, same ones that Blondie have....
914werke
Soooo.. the question is that given H4 Eruo lenses allow for a variety of wattage bulbs , if you go over the 55w bulbs do you have to relay them?
F4i
I would.
Kargeek
I have the 80 watt bulbs in mine- no additional relay- no problems. Dave
fiid
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 6 2004, 01:25 PM)

I'll take them off your hands if you can wait for the 15th (a sorry state of affairs indeed :-) ).
Bleyseng
Anything higher than 55w bulbs burns the ignition switch out, which is pretty expensive. Relay the damn things
Geoff
Joe Bob
QUOTE(fiid @ Feb 6 2004, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 6 2004, 01:25 PM)

I'll take them off your hands if you can wait for the 15th (a sorry state of affairs indeed :-) ).

CAsh talks... laugh.gif
fiid
I relayed the 80/100s I had in my spitfire. It wasn't too much of a chore - although in a spitfire the battery is really close to the lights.

In the 914 I think there may be some merit in running a BFC (cable) to the front to power all the extra shit we want - cooling fans, stereos, higher powered fog and headlamps, etc.
Rogue
I have E code Hellas in my Teener, but tried the cheep ones from a VW mag in my Miata.
I am well pleased with them. They cost all of $7each.(with Bulb ohmy.gif)
I plan to upgrade to 55/100 bulbs, but I cant tell the diffrence in pattern.
They dont have the way cool flat lens, but it is glass (like Cibie)

I would go with Hella, unless you want to save some dollars. ($100 vs $25)

cool_shades.gif
jfort
Joe,

Are those euro Hella's still available? If so, I'll buy them. If not, do you know where I can find them?

Jeff
DuckRyder
Straight Ammonia also works very well.

Do I need to say "Well Ventilated Area................."
Joe Bob
Joe who?

I'm the one that has the H4s for sale....
JmuRiz
I got my Euro Hella H4's from the Birdboard. They do have a nice cool flat lense...however I have yet to really test them at night. I also have a ground problem in the pass side light, need to clean those grounds. But I'm waiting on installing my euro turn signal conversion as well. Lots of wiring to do this season, just too cold now.

BTW the 55/65 bulbs should be just fine, it's all about the reflector and the lense. My A4 has 55/65 and throws a lot of light.
jfort
Mike,

Are the euro H4's still available? my regular email is jeffreyfort@mac.com
iiibdsiil
I am thinking of doing an H4 upgrade and then the the HID from there. Not sure though. My buddy is getting HID for his Acura so I want to see if it really is better than his stock lights.

For now, I think I am going to tie two mag lights to the head light assemblies because these things do practically nothing, even with high beam on all the time.

- Brett Smith
otto
If you need the H-4s we will be ruuning a weekly special next week a pair of the Euro 7 inch H-4s $80 for the pair. If you want the Optilux 55-60 Bulbs there are $25 a pair with the purchase of the H-4 lights. steve

H4 Bulb Set
12V 60/55W
Optilux Xenon Whites,
These Bulbs are Filled
with Xenon Gas and the
Globe is made from Blue
Quartz, Allowing the Bulb
to Simulate the Actual
Color of Daylight
IronHillRestorations
Shoot, you can get H4's from JC Whitney, pretty cheeep. I've use 80watt with stock wiring in several cars, not a problem.

The optilux sounds interesting tho.

PK cool.gif
steve@ottosvenice.com
You can get them from many soucres for $ 15 these are the low cost Lamps, look at the fluting or should i I say lack of compared to a Hella. The fluting is what focuses the light down the road. Also the quality of the reflector is important,Steve`
tracks914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 12 2004, 07:15 AM)
I got my Euro Hella H4's from the Birdboard.  They do have a nice cool flat lense...

The lights on my car have the cool flat lens too. I have never seen them before and was wondering if they were an original type headlamp or something aftermarket? wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
I have a set of old 7" Carello's that were in a previous 911. They take the H4 bulbs. Any insight on the pattern there?
DuckRyder
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Feb 14 2004, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 12 2004, 07:15 AM)
I got my Euro Hella H4's from the Birdboard.  They do have a nice cool flat lense...

The lights on my car have the cool flat lens too. I have never seen them before and was wondering if they were an original type headlamp or something aftermarket? wacko.gif

I've never seen OEM US beams that were flat.

They should have a brand on them somewhere, probalby in the middle, and will lack "DOT".

Hella are the most commonly available ones but Bosch, Marchel, Cibie' (did they make flat) and hella make Euro lights for sure.

Mine has Cibie' in it.
Eric_Shea
New H4's for $70.00

No affiliation... wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Been surfing... Awesome Bulb Prices!

Can anyone get specific about relay options? Where to buy them? How exactly to install them? Etc...?
F4i
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 14 2004, 11:35 AM)
I have a set of old 7" Carello's that were in a previous 911. They take the H4 bulbs. Any insight on the pattern there?

Ditto
Joe Bob
H-4 relates to the beam pattern.....different from US sealed beam or US halogen. The wattage can be changed on the H-4s and halogen by simply changing the bulbs....sealed beam you replace the whole thing.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Z,

I was wondering about the lens pattern of the Carello's. I think they're a Marelli company. Definately an Italian brand. The one's I have are 4300's. They don't say DOT on them anywhere but look fairly standard. When you say H4 relates to the beam pattern, would that mean that all lenses are the same? No huh? I'm familiar with the bulb issues.

I wouldn't mind going up to the 55/100's but I don't want to burn out the ignition switch. Still would like more info on the relay install.
Joe Bob
H-4s are NOT DOT approved. But the cops usually don't know that....my euro cab HAD them then it got Federalized....they somehow made it back on........... blink.gif
ArtechnikA
H4 is just a bulb.

my wife's Subie had H4 headlights from the factory. it's not a beam pattern, it's just the nomenclature of the bulb.

when quartz-iodine / halogen bulbs were invented, US DOT still required 'sealed beam' headlights. Euro-spec lights from that era were not US-DOT approved, and sstill aren't. there were some loopholes that allowed some of the pioneer H4 lights in - like the Cibie Z-Beam.

there -are- DOT-legal H4 replacement headlight assemblies - they -do- have different beam patterns. i ran Euro H4's in my GTI because the rural area in which i lived was a much better match for a Euro pattern than the urban-suited standard DOT pattern.

once US carmakers started using halogen lights it became harder and harder to identify a Euro light on sight, and i don't think many people care about it much (except possibly states with anal-retentive inspection policies...) now the Big Flap is about non-original Zenon conversions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.