Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this tire Original or even close?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
hwgunner
OK, I have looked and read a bit but can't find what i am looking for. I got this rim with a car and realized that the tire was 165 R15 and want to know if that is an original tire or tire size. The tire appears to be made by Lemans and is actually looking real good with no visible cracking. What say you??
Gustl
in general it's the correct size, but it's the wrong speed index

originally used were:
165 SR 15
165 HR 15

in addition, it says M/S what means that it's a winter tyre

I'd say that's a winter tyre from a VW bug

but of course you could use it on a teener

bye1.gif Gustl
davep
agree.gif

It is basically the correct size. Not the correct speed rating, nor an original supplier.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Sep 24 2008, 11:07 PM) *

OK, I have looked and read a bit but can't find what i am looking for. I got this rim with a car and realized that the tire was 165 R15 and want to know if that is an original tire or tire size. The tire appears to be made by Lemans and is actually looking real good with no visible cracking. What say you??

Regardless of anything else, I wouldn't trust even for a spare. A tire that age is a ticking time bomb. I have similar tires - Pirelli CN36's & Yoko A008R's. They all look perfect & hold air just fine, but put the rigors of even street driving on them & I'd bet the sidewalls begin to have real trouble in a very short time. blink.gif

Pat
dw914er
I wouldn't trust even for a spare. A tire that age is a ticking time bomb.

I agree. Safety first, so I wouldn't use that. Also, Porsche 914s didn't come with Lemans tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.