Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 V6 shift rod modifications
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
Since I moved my engine/transmission back about 1.5" I need to make the shift rod a little longer. I don't have any interferance problems with the engine mounting bar/headers/ or oilpan.

So, can the bent/curved section be cut out and replaced with a straight section?

(this is for a side shift transmission)

Thanks

Paul
Bruce Hinds
It's easiest to lengthen it at the aft end where it is straight. That won't throw off the geometry. I used a secition of tubing with the same ID as the OD of the shift rod. First I built a simple Jig that I was able to lengthen and keep the rod aligned.
Bruce
neo914-6
Mueller machined an extension for mine, it's in the end of my V8 thread... rolleyes.gif
marks914
Add to the rear of the rod. I ended up making up a complete new rod after a few years. Top is my hacked shift rod that I used for a template. Bottom is the new straighter one where I removed as much curved tubing as I could.

Mark

IPB Image
computers4kids
I cut my tube and picked-up a piece off all thread from the hardware store. It threaded nicely into both ends of your cut. Tack one side of the cut and check for fitment and then tack the other.
iamchappy
The one i use in my car is a straight.
BIGKAT_83
Here's mine for my LS1 conversion fresh back from the platers.....
Click to view attachment
Phoenix-MN
Well, after looking at all of your options guys (thanks) I decided to do a straight bar. I'm alway up for fab'n parts (it's therapy for me). smash.gif

First I made two fixtures to hold the ends in the proper position to each other then cut a tube to fit the new length and added a small bend to be sure and clear the adapter plate. Came out great and does the job biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Paul
rick 918-S
I don't have a picture but mine is half tail shift and half side shift. I needed to move over a little right at the fire wall, so I used the tail shift shifter and rod and then installed a side shift end on it. It fixed the length and clearance issues.
Phoenix-MN
New shift bar installed

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.