Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glove Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
I am refinishing my dash... not stock. Carbon fiber. I am planning on a modernized race/GT look. I am considering deleting the glove box. The one in the car is warped beyond use anyhow, and I think that the dash would look cleaner without. I don't plan on having a radio in the dash, either, and will be deleting the ashtray. Probably will put a couple-three gauges in the dash... CHT, oil press... Not sure if I will use the factory-type switches, or go with something else there too. Race-style toggle switches, or rocker switches, maybe? Anyhow... can anyone offer a compelling reason not to eliminate the glove box? No console, either. I figure I can keep the insurance and registration papers in a pouch tucked away somewhere, maybe even in the front trunk.

Any input?
Elliot Cannon
Where will you put your gloves?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 25 2008, 01:24 PM) *

On my hands, duh...
skeates
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 25 2008, 02:24 PM) *

Well, If you've figured that one out I think any other issues it would create would be minimal av-943.gif

I can't think of any reason not to if you don't think you will lament the loss of misc. object storage space. If it fits the overall theme of the car go for it!
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(skeates @ Sep 25 2008, 02:29 PM) *

I can't think of any reason not to if you don't think you will lament the loss of misc. object storage space. If it fits the overall theme of the car go for it!

Well, I can't remember the last time I opened the glove box in my truck. I think I can live without.
jd74914
You could always add a lockable door on the bottom of the dash to put your regstration/insurance in since that's not something that gets opened very often.
Porsche Rescue

Is this what you have in mind? I did it but car now belongs to Jeff Fort, member here.

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
Yep... pretty dang close. Looks good!

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 26 2008, 09:30 AM) *

Is this what you have in mind? I did it but car now belongs to Jeff Fort, member here.

Click to view attachment

Rand
Here's mine. I'm going to change out the material at some point, but I like the deletes...
skeates
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 26 2008, 10:30 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Any pics from the other side? I'm thinking about moving my ignition switch to the dash as well and wondering what I would do with the steering column. idea.gif
Rand
The sixes with ignition on the dash never had it on the column. So nothing to mod like on the fours.
RoadGlue
I know it's just me, but I don't get the whole carbon fiber treatment for the dash face. We all know it's affixed to a steel dash, so it's just seems so poser like. You get zero performance gain. It'd be way cooler if you ripped the whole dash out and built one scratch from carbon fiber. That way at least you'd be saving some weight. Right now it's like sticking a type R sticker on your car. tongue.gif

And what else does it match on your car? The door panels, hood(s), bumpers, etc? No? It just seems the stock material is so nice because it looks like it belongs there.

Not trying to be an ass, just wondering - why? why? smile.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Sep 26 2008, 08:14 PM) *

And what else does it match on your car? The door panels, hood(s), bumpers, etc? No? It just seems the stock material is so nice because it looks like it belongs there.

It will match the targa top, rocker panels, door handles, air cleaners and mirrors on my car (when I'm done). Regardless of how I finish my dash, it will be cosmetic. Burlwood, aluminum, vinyl, paint, carbon fiber... so I choose carbon fiber. My "theme" is a modernized race/GT look. Originally, I had thoughts of making an entire dash from CF, but that would reclass my car at the AX... if I go up a class, it's not going to be for a dashboard. I've got my gauges apart too... trying to decide how to refinish them. Black, white or Tangerine face?

Oddly, one of my main motivating factors is cost. I can't afford to "restore" my car... there are too many small bits that would be cost prohibitive. I can refinish many of the parts in carbon fiber, paint and powder coat for much less.
East coaster
I did the glovebox delete. To break up the large spanse of nothingness, I moved the "914" from the rear of the car and mounted it on the dash, ala vintage 911. I also used the space under the dash vacated by the glovebox to mount my subwoofer amp.....outta site....outta mind.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Sep 26 2008, 09:14 PM) *

I know it's just me, but I don't get the whole carbon fiber treatment for the dash face. We all know it's affixed to a steel dash, so it's just seems so poser like. You get zero performance gain. It'd be way cooler if you ripped the whole dash out and built one scratch from carbon fiber. That way at least you'd be saving some weight. Right now it's like sticking a type R sticker on your car. tongue.gif

I wouldn't do CF, but that's a personal preference thing. I'm with you on making the face match the panels so the interior has a theme.

My car is a stripped down minimalist... If it don't make it go fast or stop fast, it's gone. smile.gif So with the climate controls, glove box, radio, etc gone, I prefer a solid covering across the whole face. When I redo my door panels I'm going to redo the dash face to match. Will probably go with black.
Zundfolge
I kept the glove box on mine and deleted everything else (have a header so no need for heater controls).Click to view attachment
SGB
I really like the 914 script on east-coaster's set-up. They are all nicely done. I'll bet real or faux CF won't weigh any more than any other material, and it does have an aeronautic and F-1 look that is clean.
Zundfolge
Here's the view from the other side

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.