Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 carrera vs 3.0sc motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I currently have a early3.0 sc motor in the Harlot
It is pretty crazy fast....
but i want more...eventually and when the pocket book says i can....oh yes and lets not forget my dear wife's blessing
so here are my thoughts....
I am able to pick up a 3.0 carerra
which i would eventually rebuild to a 3.0 or 3.2 ss
Or build the 3.0 sc out to a 3.4
i like the idea of a ss,
while the build up of the sc less costly (due to me already owning the motor)
but will need to be usable on the street
opinions and thoughts are welcome
Cap'n Krusty
Since a 3 litre Carrera motor is essentially a 1976/77 version of the SC, a prototype if you will, of the '78-'83 SC motor, why bother? Sure it makes 15 more HP (that's not even 10%), but you're not gonna keep it stock anyway. Put the money in the buildup.

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 25 2008, 05:53 PM) *

I currently have a early3.0 sc motor

Sell the 3.0L Motor and buy yourself a '95 3.6L Engine ...
shades.gif Andy
messix
build a bad ass 2.5!!!! happy11.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
Does it have the 6 bolt or 9 bolt flywheel ?
Justinp71
I understood that all 3.0 and above are 9 bolt.

I agree with keeping your existing motor, you also know the history on it. I wouldn't see why a 3.4L wouldn't be streetable. Normally the more cc's the more streetable it is, b/c you don't have to go to radical on the cam to get power.

I have an '81 sc motor, carbs and DC 19 cams. And it kicks a$$. shades.gif

But the 3.6's are pretty sweet and probably cheaper to run then rebuilding a 3.0, and they get awesome gas mileage.

Another note a 3.4 ss would be a better motor if you plan on keeping the 901 gearbox.

Good luck!
sixnotfour
I understood that all 3.0 and above are 9 bolt.

early turbo and carrera have 6 bolt, highly desirable for really SS motor.
dw914er
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2008, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 25 2008, 05:53 PM) *

I currently have a early3.0 sc motor

Sell the 3.0L Motor and buy yourself a '95 3.6L Engine ...
shades.gif Andy

I'll take the 3.0 lol

seriously though, spend the money for the buildup, you'll save money and/or be able to get more power.
pete-stevers
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 25 2008, 08:26 PM) *

Does it have the 6 bolt or 9 bolt flywheel ?

i am 95 percent sure the motor has the six bolt crank....and has mfi
iamchappy
Turbo it. Best bang for the buck and will outrun Andy's 3.6. shades.gif
pete-stevers
how bout carbs....
whatcha think andy?? poke.gif
Eric_Shea
i am 95 percent sure the motor has the six bolt crank....and has mfi

Stop drooling Jeff... it's embarrasing, even from afar. lol3.gif
sww914
I like the MFI part, you can do whatever you want when you have MFI as long as you get the space cam profiled to match your displacement, compression, and cams. Sure, it costs $1200.00 but MFI makes the most crisp, quick revving, sexy sounding engines. Super light flywheel, high compression and wild cams make for a fun ride to be sure. Dual plug it and you can get it to run well on pump gas at about 9.5:1 compression. The 6 bolt crank means that if you have an early 911 flywheel making the clutch work is a no brainer. Of course, if you build what I want, you'll loose some streetability for the sake of thrills. Really good thrills.
pete-stevers
there is also an issue of being able to get the car through "air care" so dumping to much unburnt fuel out the pipes will be a consideration
sixnotfour
Stop drooling Jeff... it's embarrasing, even from afar.

Haha you me both have that motor in pieces , we both should get off our ifs ands buts and get em done.

the motor your looking at already has this ? or its a concept ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 25 2008, 09:29 PM) *

I think that a stock 3.6L with headers and modified chip will get you close to 300HP and will be magnitudes more reliable than anything you can build off your 3.0L core yourself ...

poke.gif Andy

PS: Hey, you asked! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Steve's current 3.0 is a CIS motor and should get some decent mileage as is. I would agree with Andy, you'd wind up spending less money to get a stock 3.6 in your 914 or about the same with FI 300hp. Either way it's gonna be bucks.
pete-stevers
three-six-schmee-six
i guesse i could throw it in the mix of possibilities....
but...
but i much prefer a vintage-ish motor /carbs or mfi
the big Q is to split with hard earned cash for early carerra with the possibility of a SS in the future
or...build out the 3.0sc
i drive the teener 5000kms a year max so milage is not a huge consideration,
thats what my wabbit is for (w a 1.6 engine) driving.gif

Justinp71
He could easily add carbs and a cam and get the motor to come to life... Dougherty racing cams is the place to go.

If you get another motor there always is the risk that it may need some work, depends on what you get. Paul S. had to take his 3.6 apart a few times to get it from leaking, it might have had another problem to, not sure. And Andy had to put a new alternator in his...

Either way it will rock!

driving.gif
TravisNeff
With that early case you can do a short stroke 2.8, the best engine porsche never built. as quoted from Sportech.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....e+porsche+built
pete-stevers
yes that is the thread that peeked my interest in this particular motor!!
but why not use the exact concept and build the motor out to a 3.0
keeping the displacement, using the 2.0 crank and rods
Eric_Shea
He could easily add carbs and a cam and get the motor to come to life... Dougherty racing cams is the place to go.

Easily includes a new set of pistons...

...but yeah, you can build a nice motor out of the SC. If you didn't want to dump a ton into it you could advance the cams and throw some Webers on it for around 210hp with headers.

Run forever.
scotty b
bump the SC up to a 3.2, Solex cams, and throttle bodies. Looks great, sounds great, runs greater driving.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 26 2008, 06:02 PM) *

Easily includes a new set of pistons...

...but yeah, you can build a nice motor out of the SC. If you didn't want to dump a ton into it you could advance the cams and throw some Webers on it for around 210hp with headers.

Run forever.

For max horse yes, but Daugherty racing cams has a variety to choose from that don't require changing the factory pistons...

You should also identify if you have alusil or nikasil cylinder walls. If there niks and you don't want them I may be interested.... biggrin.gif
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 26 2008, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 25 2008, 09:29 PM) *

I think that a stock 3.6L with headers and modified chip will get you close to 300HP and will be magnitudes more reliable than anything you can build off your 3.0L core yourself ...

poke.gif Andy

PS: Hey, you asked! biggrin.gif

3.6 is the way t go.. been there done that with 2.0-2.7-3.4... if I only had one car- it would be 3.6.. almost bought a 98 3.6 for 12,5k .. seller did not return calls..then passed.. then he called me back-- figure if he did not return calls in the first place- what /why would he return my call if the motor was bad... first impressions go a long way smile.gif Now if I wanted power - then I just get in my 996 TT
sixnotfour
3.6 100k dry motor ,records, 7000 , hear it,drive it, still in car.
pete-stevers
And the next question will be....
hey there, will ya'll let me know where that fancy lil carerra engine is settin?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.