Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shim on clutch release lever?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914helo
I'm having trouble getting the gears to engage. Im finishing off a Suby transplant with the 901 and have a new clutch cable. I verified the clutch cable tube is not loose in the tunnel, the cone screws are tight, but no matter how I adjust the shift linkage I get a grinding into 1st or reverse. This is sitting still in the garage. So that made me think maybe it was the clutch. I didn't notice this when mating the tranny to my new clutch and throwout bearing, but the release lever isn't centered in the opening. It only goes back about 3/4 of the way and can touch the forward bellhousing. Do I need to pull the tranny and install a shim? Where should I install the shim and how thick of a washer? Thanks

IPB Image
clutch release lever
SirAndy
Being close to the forward bell housing is OK ... You don't want it to hit the backside. Shims are needed if the lever doesn't go forward enough, so in your case a shim would make it worse.

With the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, where is your lever? It should be close to the rear part of the opening. If not, you may have too many shims already, preventing the clutch from disengaging completely.

shades.gif Andy
914helo
With the clutch pedal all the way down the release lever is almost to the back (about 5mm of space left). The lever starts in the middle then goes to near the back. idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Is the plastic ball cup in there, and is it in as-new condition? Is this a Kennedy clutch? They have problems fully disengaging the clutch. The Cap'n
914helo
Yes, the plastic ball cup is in there and it's brand new. Yes also that it's a Kennedy clutch with their adapter plate to mount to a Suby engine. Any recommendations? I appreciate the help.
914helo
Alright, I've got the clutch what I think is properly adjusted, and with the shift linkage pretty close moving through the gears with the car off seems OK. However, when the car is running and sitting still in my garage, I still get the grinding for reverse and first. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the clutch not disengaging all the way? confused24.gif Thanks
DBCooper
If it's really minor grinding it will improve a bit with driving. Slipping the clutch will remove any of the rough parts of the friction material, giving you just a bit more clearance. Don't slip it on purpose, that's not what I'm suggesting, just normal use. If it still doesn't improve call Hobart. He's heard this same question before, so will have an answer that works.
r_towle
show a picture of the adjustment screw on the end of the cable.
You may need to crank that a bit more forward.

I have also heard that Kennedy clutches have issue so you may want to call them.

You can put a few shims behind the ball to move it forward and you can also bend the fork a bit (I have seen that a few times) to get more release, but if you look at the adjustment threads on the clutch cable you can stack up some washers and gain more space that way without having to remove the transmission.

I would suggest you have someone push the clutch while you are watching. Eventually the clutch fork will hit the transmission.
At that point you will need to either shim the ball, bend the fork or both to get more clearance.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.